Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IP.....

• Please log in to reply

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
hello. i have been threatend my a guy in a video game that he would IP bomb me. he told me my ip address so he knew what it was. whats is a ip bomb and what does it to. plz tell me so that i can prevent it itf oit happens or make the damage control easier.

P.s can anyone here make thse ip things, or do some damage with an ip address,(wanna know if it is possible.)

Advertisements

Hardhead

Hardhead

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
Hello tom_beach22,

This would be best decribed as Denial of Service.
Here's an Example on a network.
Your best protection is software firewall and hardware firewall together. XP has it's on firewall which is decribed here and here. You can also get another firewall from other vendors. You can go here for firewall reviews. Note that some have there also come with AV protection.

I would also advise installing a router. Your choice is wireless or wired. You will find lots of info at this link to Google.

I would also go to Gibson Researh Corp and run ShieldsUp to see if you have any open ports. :tazz:
Be sure you scan all ports.

Edited by Hardhead, 29 October 2005 - 11:04 PM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Aight, i c wut ur gettin at there Tom, but im curious about if this guy did know ur IP how would he be able to hack it ? And also is it possiable that if someone knows your IP can they "steel internet" from you ? I have herd that people are able to steel or rob you of kb/sec .... Can this really happen ?

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
mr chow i got no idea about any of this stuff. that why i asked for help. :tazz:

thx for the help tho i will look into a router, can the lower my ping? if not what can i do to lower my ping (besides buying a gold plated cable.)

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well If a person knows your IP, he might be able to gain unauthorized access to your computer if you don't have the most upto date patches installed and if you don't use a firewall. With a firewall you can see inbound and outbound connections and can control this activity.
If you do experience a DDoS you can call up your isp and request for a change of ip. Or if is a dynamic ip turning off your cable modem for about 15 min and then booting it might change the ip.

Hope that helps

not_napster

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
things like that can usually be prevented by using a good firewall and making sure that windows is fully updated and patched. it's hard to exploit xp when its patched and firewalled, its definitely more secure than the previous versions of windows. still lacking, of course, but its getting there.