Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer is dying a slow and miserable death - please help!

• Please log in to reply

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have an HP Pavillion with Windows ME. Yesterday, for what appeared to be no reason, it got a blue screen which required reboot (my husband never reads the darned things, just starts clicking!!!). After reboot, we have no mouse pointer at all and the colors are set to a safe-mode like screen, which can't be changed. I have been able to get around a little bit using the keyboard.

Using my other computer, I searched the internet and found out that this problem was familiar to several people about a year ago. Their solutions all pointed to re-adding "drivers=mmsystem.dll" to the "boot" section of my system.ini. Well...I did that, but it didn't help anything.

Next, I decided to run LiveUpdate on Norton and do a full system scan. It ran LiveUpdate fine, did the scan and found "localNrd.cab". I deleted it. Now, I get a message that says I need to uninstall and reinstall Norton. The other problems still exist.

I only have floppy available to transfer files from one system to another, so I haven't been able to download any other spyware tools. Someone suggested that I load a registry fixer on it, and I did, but couldn't CLICK where I needed to because of no mouse!!

I am at a complete loss. My husband is freaking out because EVERYTHING on his computer is important to him, and of, course, there is no backup!

Please help!

:tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi tessybrooker,

You could try a System Restore which will take your settings back to a time prior to the problem.

As you have no mouse do the following:

CTRL + ESC will give you the START menu. Use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate to PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS and SYSTEM RESTORE.

Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
Click a day on the calendar, click the restore point description, and then click Next.

Hope this fixes it for you - post back.

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried System Restore....the only dates listed for restore points were back in January of this year....it would not restore, after hours of sitting it finally said System Restore not successful.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
OK - Try this.

Shut down into MSDOS.

CTRL + ESC > SHUT DOWN > RESTART IN MSDOS MODE. At the prompt type Scanreg /restore (space after scanreg) Hit ENTER KEY.

You should be looking at a screen with restore points - pick one prior to your problem (but not the oldest)

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can't figure out how to do that, exactly. I can shut down the computer, but down know how to reboot to DOS.

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can't figure out how to do that, exactly. I can shut down the computer, but down know how to reboot to DOS.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I was giving directions as if your computer was booted up.

CTRL + ESC will give you the Start menu again. Use the arrow keys to select SHUT DOWN and go from there.

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can get it shut down, no problem...I don't know how to get it to boot into DOS. I thought maybe F8, but that is Safe-Mode. Help?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may be able to get into dos mode by pressing F8 in ME. You might try running scanreg in safe mode. And system file checker goes by another name in ME, and isn't as easily accessed as in win98, but it is there. One thing is you may have a failing hard drive, but you could also have malware.

Do you have another desktop computer in the house? You can take the hard drive out of that one, set the jumpers to slave, and move any files you want to keep, including your email, onto the other hard drive or to a cd-rom, if you have a writer. You won't be able to keep the programs that way.

Edited by Tyger, 30 October 2005 - 01:28 PM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Thanks for the reminder tyger - I was forgetting myself (working on 98se)

tessybrooker this is slightly more complicated - (not much)

Download a Bootdisk from here. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm Save it to a floppy. (select Windows ME OEM )
edit LINK ADDED (SORRY )

Put the disk in the drive and Boot your computer from Windows Me startup disk.

At the startup menu, press Shift-F5 for a command prompt.

At the A:\ prompt, enter C: .

At the C:\ prompt, enter cd\windows\command .

At the C:\windows\command prompt, enter scanreg /restore . (space after scanreg)

Click a registry entry that has the word "Started" next to the date, then press Enter. (a date prior to your problem)

Press Enter again to restart your computer.

Edited by 1069, 30 October 2005 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Your instructions seem so great...I can't wait to actually do them. I am having a bit of trouble....my Sunday morning Grandma brain is taking over!

I made a boot disk from the site you sent me to. Now...I can't figure out how to boot to it! Disk in drive on boot says non-system disk error.

Help!

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Try another (ME Custom) http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Ensure that your floppy is clean (formatted) / or new

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I feel like this sounds simple, but I must be doing something wrong.

I got a new floppy, downloaded the link you gave me, put it into the drive, shut down the computer, turned it back on, and I get "non-system disk error"....it won't do anything else until I remove the disk and press any key.

Thank you so much for your patience with me.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hiya,
Make sure you do a full format on the floppy drive first to do this

1.insert the floppy
2.right click on the icon and chose format
3.then don't click anything eles exept start to start formating it

so you get the right format

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tessybrooker...

ME can be pretty picky about the startup disk. Try creating one on your machine. Click Start and then Settings. Open Add/Remove Programs and click the Startup Disk tab. Create the startup disk and reboot with the disk in the floppy drive.

Now try following the instructions given by 1069.

wannabe1