Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mad Unicows.dll disease!

• Please log in to reply

WITZEND

WITZEND

• Pip
  • 1 posts
G'day to all! :)

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if i find it hard to understand some of the lingo but I hope in time I will get a grip of it all~ :tazz:

Ok, now I seem to be experiencing alot of Unicow.dll errors~ I cant use Adobe, MSN Messenger and I also have problems logging onto my hotmail account when the MSN messenger program is installed on my pc.
I have tried downloading the unicows.exe file but I have problems understanding where I need to extract the files to. :woot:

Please be gentle on me, I do not understand all the computer speak and may come across as very thick and extremely simple. :P But I promise to try my best! :)

Thanks in advance,

Shazzy (aka Witzend AU)
:woot: :woot:

Edited by WITZEND, 30 October 2005 - 12:50 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you use crystal report writer ?
Try this http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

Edited by Keith, 30 October 2005 - 03:27 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unicows.dll acts as a wrapper around the Ansi APIs so that they can be called as Unicode APIs under Windows 95, 98 and ME. Provided unicows.dll is installed, you can call the Unicode APIs from your application without worrying that they may return with the dreaded error code 120 decimal ("ERROR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED"). Instead when you call for example, CreateWindowExW under Windows 95, 98 or ME the Unicode strings that you pass to the API will be converted by unicows.dll to Ansi strings, and then unicows.dll will call CreateWindowExA instead. :tazz:

Unicows.dll can be obtained from Microsoft Unicows.exe for 95/98/ME

Firstly, the loader tries to load unicows.dll using LoadLibrary. In the first instance it looks for this in the same folder as the application itself.

Microsoft recommends that unicows.dll is placed there.

This is to try to avoid problems with updated versions of unicows.dll being elsewhere on the machine. This is sensible because you tested your application using a particular version of unicows.dll and so you will want that version to be used at run-time.

The actual search order is:-

1. the directory from which the application was started

2. if different, the current directory

3. the windows system directory

4. the windows directory

5. directories listed in the PATH environment variable.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
option 21. Remove MSN Messenger from your computer, and then reinstall MSN Messenger.

A. In the notification area at the far right of the task bar, right-click the MSN Messenger icon, and then click Exit.
B. Do one of the following depending on your operating system:

Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

a. Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
b. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
c. Click the Install/Uninstall tab in the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box.
d. Select MSN Messenger, and then click Add/Remove.
e. If prompted, click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the program, and then click OK.

Microsoft Windows 2000

a. Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
b. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
c. Click Change or Remove programs, select MSN Messenger, and then click Remove or Change/Remove.
d. Select MSN Messenger, and then click Add/Remove.
e. If prompted, click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the program, and then click OK.

Microsoft Windows XP

a. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
b. Click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a program.
c. Click Change or Remove Programs.
d. From the Currently installed programs list, select MSN Messenger, and then click Remove or Change/Remove.

C. Download the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. Visit http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en Click the Download link.

D. Restart your computer.

E. Download and install MSN Messenger. Visit http://messenger.msn.com Click Download Now.

For additional online help, please visit http://messenger.msn.com/help

Edited by Keith, 30 October 2005 - 03:33 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If that does not work
msn tech support and they fixed it totally.
Here is what you need to do:

1. Click start, and run %PROGRAMFILES%\MSN Messenger
2. In the list of files, click right-click MSNMSGR, and then click Properties.
3.In the Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab, and then clear the "Run this program in compatibility mode" box.
4.Click OK.
5.then start messenger
If this is all a bit much and you need help to work it out please say so
Do not be overwhelmed by all of this
Cheers
Peterm

missladydebs

missladydebs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would like to say thank you to PeterM for his advice on unicow in October 2005. I am pretty much a beginner when it comes to computers and when I started having trouble with msn and then got the message you are missing module unicow.dll I just about freaked. :whistling: Went through different sites and then I came across this one and couldn't believe that a year ago there were postings about the same problems I was having. Your posting fixed my msn and I could also get into my e-mails. thank you, thank you so much for your advice. :blink:

Also this is a great site.

debbie