Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse not working

• Please log in to reply

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi

i used to have a wireless mouse and keyboard. the keyboard suddenly stopped working, so i bought another wirless mouse and keyboard (labtec ultra flat wirless desktop) i followed all the instructions and only the keyboard works. i tried it on another machine and both worked straight away. when i plug the receiver into the two ps/2 ports, its like it only recognises the keyboard. i tried plugging in a wired ps/2 mouse and that worked and then i plugged the wireless mouse ps/2 into the slot and it worked. hte driver had been installed and it recognised it. but i then restarted the computer and had the same problem.

any ideas??

thanks

Edited by scott452, 01 November 2005 - 01:14 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if there are updated drivers

Put the receiver in front of the mouse, you may have a button on it and / or the mouse to get them to see each other

If this works then move the receiver away to a more convenient spot, making sure the mouse still runs

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
thanks for replying

updated drivers, still nothing

receiver is fine, the keyboard works so the mouse is "in range"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Putting the mouse in front of the receiver would clear that up

Does device manager show labtec as the mouse

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
no it only shows another mouse if i plug that in

Edited by scott452, 30 October 2005 - 04:21 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Plug the labtec mouse in, go to device manager, right click the mouse, click update driver, use do not search then click have disc, then browse to the updated drivers, click OK

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
the labtec mouse doesn't show on the device manager

if i plug in a wired ps/2 mouse it shows it and the driver is installed

then if i take out the wired mouse and put in the wireless mouse it works because the necessary driver is installed

???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the wireless mouse start working but only until you reboot

If so, get it so it works, leave it connected, right click it in device manager, click uninstall, confirm then reboot to see if XP picks it up

If not,

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar.

After the bar goes,

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete then plug the wireless mouse in and reboot

Clearing the prefetch folder will make sure the prefetch files for the wired mouse are not loaded

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic Labtec Mouse
Date 30th Oct-2005

Here is Labtec Support Pages -

http://www.labtec.co...h/EUR/EN,CRID=3

FAQ-
http://labtec.custhe...?p_sid=W_6qIjTh

Here is a Tool that may help – [Device Manager] to View [Non Present Devices]

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that
needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as reqyired
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

This will permit you to see all the Drivers that are installed on PC – Whenever you are attempting to [Install] & it appears to fail –However, the Driver did get installed & remains – and sometimes causes problems like you are having-Sometimes a [Unknown Device] gets installed that interferes with [Subsequent Installation] –

Another problem – If the [Mouse] and/or [Keyboard] was working fine & then all of a sudden one or both suddenly stops – A recent [Automatic Windows Update] replaces Driver that for whatever reason is not compatible with a [Non MS Input Device] –

Having [Device Manager] view [Non Present Devices] may let you see the correct/old Driver – Not knowing all the details & not seeing problem in [Real Time] – It is hard to give a [Detailed] – Step by Step [Repair Process] that will fix this problem –

The best I can do is give you the tool – and some guidelines –

These [Non Present Devices] usually are the Place Holder/Marker for the [Installed Devices] that are not connected or [Powered ON] – Such as a Printer or Camera – If they were not there – Then the PnP would detect [New Hardware] every time you turned ON your Printer –

So you do not want to eliminate ALL – Just the [Problematic Ones] - [The Hard Part] – in Problem Solving –

Jack123

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
okay

replying back to Keith:

i followed all the steps, both ideas didn't work

replying to jack123:

again followed steps but didn't work

when making all hidden devices show up i opened the ps/2 mouse, which was grey, to get the properties. i got this: (open attachment)

it contradicts itself by saying it is plugged in and it isn't plugged in????

thanks for replying, scott

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Advertisements

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
any ideas??

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic Labtec Mouse-(2)
Date 31st Oct-2005

Ok – This is confirming that the Mouse is [Not Present] or Connected – Driver may not be PnP Compatible –

It is not contradicting itself – The fact that it is being represented/shown as a [Non Present Device] Means that it is [Not Connected] – but it was connected at some time in the past – It is just indicating what port it needs to be connected - [Holding Place] –

The fact that you managed to get the Mouse to function – by – Connecting a Wired Mouse 1st – And then reconnecting Wireless Mouse – is a significant clue –

The [Attachment] is indicating that it is a MS Mouse – and not the Labtec – Do you have Installation CD – Try Updating Driver in [Device Manager] – Then [Restart] PC –

Did you Browse the Web Sites that I gave – May find this issue defined by Labtec -

And By the way – Did you ever get your USB Issues resolved - & What Service Pack do you have Installed –

Jack123-

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi

looked at websites but found nothing relevant to my problem
the usb stuff was on another computer so it doesn't matter
i've got pack 2 on my computer

would it be possible to manually delete the driver that is showing in the attachment and replace it with the labtec one. maybe it isn't installing the driver so nothing is happening????

there isn't any in the registry that is conflicting or something that can be changed to make it work

thanks for your help

scott

Edited by scott452, 01 November 2005 - 01:16 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic Labtec Mouse-(3)
Date 1st Nov-2005

Yes that will probably do it – I was looking at some of your earlier posts & was trying to determine a connection – and was trying to figure out if you had access to the Labtec Driver – and wanted to see what [Device Manager] would show – about what Driver was installed –

You may be able to use [Device Manager] to – [Update] Driver to the Labtec Version –

I really think that you Received – Downloaded - & Installed a [Windows Update] – that replaced your Labtec Driver with a MS Driver –

There are many Posts that indicates that this is happening – but during the process of troubleshooting –they keep installing the wrong driver & somehow loose the [Old Working Driver] –

Not being there – and not seeing exactly all that is happening – and depending on you to relay this info correctly – And having to wait a day – is not the best technique to solve these type of problems – Most of these problems have the same symptom –

[Was working fine – Then all of sudden – Turn ON PC – and [Some Device] is not working] – Can you FIX it???

Try the [UPDATE] 1st – Using [Device Manager] –Then Reboot PC –

If this did not work - Then read the Installation Process again – I think you may not be doing everything correctly as it is written –

It is important – to know [The Correct Order] – and the [Distinction] – between [Loading] – [Installing] – with reference to [Connection] – And to know WHEN to [Connect the Hardware] –

It is also important to know – [Distinction/Difference] between – [Initial Installation] – [Reinstallation] – [Updating] – and when to use Drivers provided by [Installation CD] or by [Windows] –

What you [Actually Do] & what you [Think You Do] can be – [Slightly] but [Significantly] – Different enough – to disrupt the [Installation Process] of the PnP Device –

I ask questions – give hints – provide some tools/aids – Routines – Utilities – Suggest Links – Supply Information – so that you end up solving the problem yourself –

– I think you are almost there –
Jack123

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi

you talk of updating the labtec driver but it isn't listed in the device manager even when it shows all the drivers. is there any way to see if the driver has actually installed because at the moment i don't know. if not how do i manually install it.

scott