Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop slow and freezes 'randomly'

• Please log in to reply

pearlx

pearlx

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Grateful for any help on this. My laptop is running slowly for all applications. Also it freezes unpredictably. Usually when running a long process like virus scan etc. I have anti-virus (McAfee security suite), McAfee Firewall, Ad-aware SE personal, Spyware Doctor all loaded and used. Since the problem and consulting this site I now have spy-bot and ewido also. I am trying to follow all the malware instructions on the site so I cna post a hijack this log BUT I can't complete all the actions as my computer freezes before some of them complete. Thus far:-
1 ad-aware has never completed a full scan before freezing, but what has run produces zero 'infections'. It has got as far as about 140K out of about 150K files. [Not that that proves there are none!]
2 CWshredder completed and found 1 infection. cws.qttasks and removed it.
3 trojanhunter has completed a quick scan and found nothing. A full scan froze before completion.
4 McAfee virus scan does freeze but I got a full scan to complete last night and it found nothing.
5 Ewido found 586 infections and removed them all.
6 I have rebooted several times since all of the above and still have the problems.
7 I am attempting a kaspersky scan (which I found in one of the postings as a suggestion). I hope this completes.
Is there anything I can do so that I can post an HJT?
I have windows XP home.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options, clear system restore points, confirm

From system tools, run disc defragmenter, reboot and run the scans again, with ad-aware, check it is updated, or uninstall it and then re-install

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

You can try other things but best to check for malware first as this would likely prevent the other changes

pearlx

pearlx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks.
I should have said I had run disk cleanup (though it did freeze once for this) for both C and D drive.
I had also run disk de-frag. And Ad-aware is the latest version.
5 hours is a long time in computing. The following has occurred since I posted my plea this morning, before I read your reply.
AN UPDATE
My machine was very slow with many re-boots so I tried to RESTORE to a previous windows restore point (when I know performance was better). The restore operation failed several times (it would freeze on me). After these tries it would not then boot up properly. I got a blue screen with no icons.
So I tried to re-install Windows XP from my original discs. I could not get very far with this operation as when I hit the enter key to load windows the screen went black and stopped completely. [I do have everything backed up via norton ghost on an external hard drive.] I can't believe it wouldn't even let me re-install windows!!
I then tried a 'normal' re-boot - got a blank blue screen but was able to re-try the windows system restore. THIS TIME it let me restore from an earlier restore point and completed the re-store without freezing.
I have just re-updated windows (as I lost the latest on the restore). I need to re-install some McAfee anti-virus that is now messed up. It is working faster but I can't tell yet if it will still freeze.
Does the failure to re-load windows XP mean this could be a hardware rather than a s/w problem?
Am I right in understanding below that I should clear the system restore points that windows automatically creates? Have I messed that up now I have restored to my 4th October restore point? I also can't see where to clear the restore points as disk clean up doesn't give me a 'more options' button/tab.
Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After disc clean up runs and shows the summary you should have this

This is a list of steps you can run through

You can check for an improvement after running
sfc /scannow then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, all the files in the folder will now be highlighted, right click any file, click delete, a box will appear asking if you want to delete all the files, confirm the delete then reboot

Open the CD ROM Drive used to install Windows, insert the XP CD but leave the drawer open. Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, then close the CD ROM Drive drawer, You will get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. This will check for and replace missing or corrupt system files.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

I left both repair methods in, so you can see if you get different results

Clearing Prefetch is to make sure XP does not try to load files from the previous install, (pre-repair), it should not but just in case

sfc /scannow will replace missing or corrupt system files, which you should not have any of, though it is a quick check

chkdsk /f /r will check and repair the drive, if at all possible, if it cannot then at least you know the drive is a contributor

System restore, open it then click system restore settings, then you can either:

reduce the amount of allocated disk space, this will mean XP will offload older restore points to make way for new ones, sooner than at its default 12%

If the PC is running well, you can turn system restore off, click apply, reboot then set a restore point to give just one, though the important thing is to do this when you are comfortable with the way the PC is running

pearlx

pearlx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow. Thanks. I will follow the steps below.
I must have an older version of Windows XP as my disk cleanup doesn't have 2 tabs like your picture. It is just a list to check/uncheck boxes of which files to delete or compress files.
I'll run clean up anyway before I start on the rest.
Fingers crossed!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After you get through this then go to Microsoft Update to install all critical updates then SP2 if your XP disc does not include this, then return to Microsoft Update until it shows no critical updates and any optional software and hardware ones are not needed

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

pearlx

pearlx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. I am about to start the processes.
And I DO have the 'more options' tab. I just never noticed it before. Oops.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

pearlx

pearlx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well wow it is now working at good spped and, thus far today, no freezes.
Last night I tried the sfc /scannow twice. The first time my machine froze after about 40 mins. The second time it froze after about an hour - with the progress bar only half way across. So I left it and tried again this morning.
This morning I ran it from cold - ie as soon as I booted up (whereas last night the computer was 'hot'). And today I ran with an ice pack under the laptop (safe - no leaky water). I still have the ice pack under and it is remarkable. Only just warm to the touch. [The part that gets hot is not the CD drive but whatever is next to it.]
This morning the sfc /scannow ran in 24 minutes.
The chkdsk /f /r ran in about 45 minutes.
I haven't run either of the disk repairs as all seems to be fine so far. [Will do if I need to later.]
I will keep an eye on the possibility of overheating. If that does cause problems I guess I'll have to replace the part.
So........... you are a genius.
I have attached a chocolate bar as a reward. [Zero calories :tazz:]
Is it OK if I put a link to your website on my website? I think this marvellous service should be more publicised.
Many thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• cdm200.gif

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Perhaps you can locate a laptop cooler if heat is a problem

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then sensor, give it a few seconds then post the temperatures from just after start up and after an hour or so

Thank You for letting me know it has at least improved

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Is it OK if I put a link to your website on my website? I think this marvellous service should be more publicised.
Many thanks.

Hello! :tazz: Of course we don't mind if you put a link on your website! We appreciate the vote of confidence! :)

Oh btw Keith.....you KNOW I just stole that chocolate bar, right?? :) :woot:

pearlx

pearlx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Laptop is still going well 3 days later. Thanks for all the help. I will put the G2Go link on my website. And I will get a laptop cooler!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the update

I hope it continues to run well

squeaky1

squeaky1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
laptop just suddenly goes white does not make a difference if on internet or not need help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: dqueaky1

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is almost 6 years old it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.