Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hurricane Wilma killed my computer

• Please log in to reply

stacybeck

stacybeck

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
My computer was running when hurricane Wilma hit my home. We were out of power for about one week.

Now I can not get it to start in safe mode or any other mode. It restarts and goes to the same screen over and over. When I try to start it in debugging mode I get the following message.

On a blue screen it says:
A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE.
IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
DISABLE OR UNINSTALL ANY INTI-VIRUS, DISK DEFRAGMENTATION OR BACKUP UTILITIES. CHECK THE HARD DRIVE CONFIGURATION AND CHECK FOR ANY UPDATED DRIVERS. RUN CHKDSK /F TO CHECK FOR HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.
***STOP: 0X00000024 (0X00190203, 0X84ACD308, 0XC0000102,0X00000000)

I can't start the computer in anyway what-s0-ever, so how can I follow these directions. I have tried to stop the restarting by going into the bios, but that is not working either.

I use this computer for work everyday and my lively hood depends on it, please help me and thanks in advance!!!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do you have a bootable cd, like the windows install cd? If so, try putting it in the cd drive and boot to that. This will enable you to do some diagnostics and possible repair. You may need to change the boot order in your bios first. It needs to be set to boot to cd first.

stacybeck

stacybeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Dont have one, but can create one on my laptop, do you have a link for me to do this? windows xp home

stacybeck

stacybeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Oh, forgot, neither computer has a floppy drive, so must be burned to a cd if that makes any difference.

ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
If you get a bootable CD it should work fine.

stacybeck

stacybeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
can anyone tell me where to find a bootable cd that I can burn? A link to the best place to download this, and do I need to have my key# to install this?

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

can anyone tell me where to find a bootable cd that I can burn? A link to the best place to download this, and do I need to have my key# to install this?

I don't think you can burn that CD because of legal issues, I would have to say you woul have to buy a new disk from a store...

But I don't know, I am not one of the guys to give advise, just my thoughts what to do.

Cheers for now.

stacybeck

stacybeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
There must be some way for me to create a restore or boot cd from a working computer to revive a broken one.
I have a laptop that runs fine, and uses winxp home. I need a boot disc for my desk top...I can't find use the system restore disc because I was supposed to create one when first purchasing the computer, and being the brainiac I am, I didn't do it.
So...if I could have created one then, why can't I create one now off the laptop?
Please help me...I desperately need to get that desktop working. Maybe somebody could send me to a place where I can get a system restore disc for the desktop ...something, please,please, please!!!

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

There must be some way for me to create a restore or boot cd from a working computer to revive a broken one.
I have a laptop that runs fine, and uses winxp home. I need a boot disc for my desk top...I can't find use the system restore disc because I was supposed to create one when first purchasing the computer, and being the brainiac I am, I didn't do it.
So...if I could have created one then, why can't I create one now off the laptop?
Please help me...I desperately need to get that desktop working. Maybe somebody could send me to a place where I can get a system restore disc for the desktop ...something, please,please, please!!!

I really think you have to buy a new XP disk since its a different computer.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know you there isnt any legal issue downloading a winxp boot disk if you have a valid liscense. I cant tell you where to get it as p2p convos are banned on here, the easiest way by far to get it is to get a loan of it from a freind and copy it, microsoft dont actually sell winxp disks, they do give them out free alot of the time when you send for the updates on a disk they are often included. You can buy them but they are a rip off so as long as you have a valid liscence just get it any way you can.

It sounds alot like the EM disturbance of the storm screwed with your data storage on the PC a reformat will fix it probably.

stacybeck

stacybeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have an xp professional disc, can I use that even though what was originally installed on my computer is home edition without harming my stuff?

I run a business with this computer, so my whole life is on that thing basically.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use any same version XP CD to repair yours

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

You would use your product key to complete it

You can download XP set up discs from Microsoft

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

But you will need an XP CD to complete the set up

stacybeck

stacybeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Once again, you have saved my life!!! I love you!!!
THANKS

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know