Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New techz..

• Please log in to reply

nexgenx

nexgenx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a neophyte in this i.t sector.Can u guys help me out with these terms...

1.intel xeon
2.pentium EE
3.pentium D
4.amd athlon 64
5.amd septeron
6.amd opteron
7.prescott
8.itanium processors
9.tejas

What are the 64-bit dual core processors in the offing from amd and intel?Are they available in india?

Whats the meaning of 64-bit?Is it that they can access 2 to the power 64 memory locations and thus has high ram upgradability?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Intel Xeon is a brand of Intel processor which are aimed at servers.

Pentium EE - dual core processors, giving performance similiar to if you physically had two processors in your system.

Pentium D - current generation of Pentium 4 processors.

Athlon 64 - AMD processor, 64-bit.

Opteron - 64-bit processors for servers, basically.

Prescott - name of one of the cores in the Pentium 4 series.

Itanium - Server technology.

Tejas - pinless processor.

Both AMD and Intel now have dual-core technology out; these basically mean performance should in theory double as one core can take the bulk of, say, working on encoding on video while the other core looks after anything else that needs processor power. Basically doesn't tie the processor down as much.

As for what is 64-bit, in a nutshell means it runs a lot faster, twice as fast as the 32-bit processors. RAM upgradablitiy si dependent on the board itself.