Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb 2.0

• Please log in to reply

angelblade27

angelblade27

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
i put my i pod into the usb of my computer and a message show saying the usb controller needs to be udate and that transfer will be slower. where do i get an update for a usb host controller?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft Update may have this

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, click + next to universal serial bus controllers, check if you have enhanced controller(s)

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Unfortunately it is also possible that your motherboard doesn't support USB 2.0. To find out, go into BIOS and see if there is any mention of USB 2.0 (most likely under Integrated Peripherals), if not then your system only supports USB 1.1.

ryandme

ryandme

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Is it possible to upgrade my computer with a Hi- speed USB? I'm having the same problem with my Ipod.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
You can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card, they are about $20 and usually have 4 ports.

ryandme

ryandme

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Is this something that I could possibly install myself or should I have the pros do it?

Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most PC parts only go one place and one way round

[attachment=4552:attachment]

Note there is a large part and a small part at the bottom (gold) this corresponds with the PC Slot for the card

ryandme

ryandme

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you very much. I'll open it up and try to figure it out. I just had my computer upgraded to Windows XP in order to be compatible with my new Ipod. All works well, however, the music takes forever to download. I was told to purchase as hi-speed USB card. So do I replace the old one with the new one? Then what would be the next step? Would the system automatically recognize the new hardware or is there some other step that I need to perform?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have spare slots, leave the other one in, see if it has a driver disc with it, though XP should recognise it

If you install the card the wrong way round, the connectors will be pointing inwards which will take you longer to plug things in :tazz:

Generally though, things like memory can only go one way

The card above has Firewire also for 32 USD