Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

call of duty 2: video driver and alpha blending

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rogue722

rogue722

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Like everyone that has already mentioned before me, I have the same problem with the alpha blending. I am not exactly sure what I am able to do, or if it is even possible to do anything with my computer. I have attached the Belarc description of my computer and have tried everything else which I can think of and it still does not work. I have made sure and I have the latest version of DirectX (9.0c) and nothing. Hope you guys can help me out, Thanks.Attached File  _Matt_.html   85.66KB   467 downloads

Advertisements

Call of Duty 2 Problems

Call of Duty 2 Problems

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok if my video card is agp, then what card can i get that will run cod2, and run directx9, i dont care how much the price, as long as it isnt too expensive, i just need one that will work, and will run well.

Call of Duty 2 Problems

Call of Duty 2 Problems

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Like everyone that has already mentioned before me, I have the same problem with the alpha blending. I am not exactly sure what I am able to do, or if it is even possible to do anything with my computer. I have attached the Belarc description of my computer and have tried everything else which I can think of and it still does not work. I have made sure and I have the latest version of DirectX (9.0c) and nothing. Hope you guys can help me out, Thanks.Attached File  _Matt_.html   85.66KB   467 downloads

I hace checked out your Belarc, and from studying this game all day today and yesterday, ANY INTEL GRAPHICS CARD WILL NOT WORK WITH CALL OF DUTY 2, AND NEITHER WILL SOEM NVIDIA AND GEFORCE, HOPEFULLY GEEKS TO GO WILL GET ON AND TELL US what CARDS WORK :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if your video card is on the list then it can play call of duty 2. however the older the card the worse the performance. If you have a card that is dx 9 capable then you can go into the display options ingame and set it to force dx7. In fact most people do that to gain performance at the cost of the visual effects.

so if your looking for a video card you want to spend your money on the newest models you can afford. I personally recomend nvidia 6800 series or newer. If you prefer ati then the x800 seriers or newer.

however, if you have an older system. like "cod 2 problems" then you have to way the cost of the card vs what your machine can handle. For you I would recomend a geforce 5900 or ati 9600 series as your starting point.

Keep in mind that you have to have an available agp port before you can upgrade. Same goes if you have a newer system that has pci express. you have to have the pci-x 16 slot available.

If you dont have an avialable port and have intergrated video by intel/s3/via, ect then you will be looking to upgrade your pc.

there are are intergrated options using the following chipsets: ati express 200, nvidia 6100 or 6150, or possible a geforce go series (quadra, 5700, 5800, 6600, 6800, 7800) that can run call of duty 2 with varying degress of success.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Rogue, see my previous post (#154). You have a nice system, however your using intergrated intel graphics. You will need to see if you have an agp port available so you can upgrade.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

You can fix it !? How? Or, you can do it just for yourself...

As I said in my previous post i'm assuming it's in the config.cfg file but i'm not 100% on that.
You could ask Activision or post on the official Infinity ward forums maybe they know.

Call of Duty 2 Problems

Call of Duty 2 Problems

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

if your video card is on the list then it can play call of duty 2. however the older the card the worse the performance. If you have a card that is dx 9 capable then you can go into the display options ingame and set it to force dx7. In fact most people do that to gain performance at the cost of the visual effects.

so if your looking for a video card you want to spend your money on the newest models you can afford. I personally recomend nvidia 6800 series or newer. If you prefer ati then the x800 seriers or newer.

however, if you have an older system. like "cod 2 problems" then you have to way the cost of the card vs what your machine can handle. For you I would recomend a geforce 5900 or ati 9600 series as your starting point.

Keep in mind that you have to have an available agp port before you can upgrade. Same goes if you have a newer system that has pci express. you have to have the pci-x 16 slot available.

If you dont have an avialable port and have intergrated video by intel/s3/via, ect then you will be looking to upgrade your pc.

there are are intergrated options using the following chipsets: ati express 200, nvidia 6100 or 6150, or possible a geforce go series (quadra, 5700, 5800, 6600, 6800, 7800) that can run call of duty 2 with varying degress of success.

SO which one is capable of running directx9, GeForce5900, or ATI 9600

Call of Duty 2 Problems

Call of Duty 2 Problems

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

What can i get to make my machine be able to handle better video cards, like name somethign that will work with cod2 and let me use better graphics card, so I dont have to play with worse graphics to get the game to play faster

Call of Duty 2 Problems

Call of Duty 2 Problems

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi zues i see your on, can you help me?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Call of Duty 2 problems... Please learn some patience.

the 9600 is the first ati card designed to support dx9. its what I use on my gaming system.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, man starjax allready answered your question in the post you quoted.

Listen people read the list of compatible cards before you post, is it just me or is there a larger proportion than usual of people with integrated gfx thinking they can play new high end games for COD2.

If its integrated its not going to play especially if its intel, integrated graphics adapters ARE NOT MEANT FOR PLAYING GAMES WITH, they are there to give basic graphical functionality meaning the desktop, looking at pictures and the odd video nothing else is in their design remit for Intel even the good integrated adapters dont work well on games.

Read the thread, you will probably find your answer has been answered several times over, this thread is getting kinda gargantuan mind you. Only after you have read here and cant find the answer we usually insist you start your own topic for your own specific problem.

retiredbinkie

retiredbinkie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, my copy of CoD II reports me the alpha blending error thingie. I have Radeon 9600 pro 128MB graphics card and Asus P4S533-MX motherboard. I see that my gfx card is supported by the game, so that can't be the problem. So, I download the latest drivers from ati.com and install. Reboot. Ta-da: there's nothing on my screen but flashing stripes that cause me a headache. Then I have to take my GFX card out of the computer and plug the monitor to the integrated gfx to be able to uninstall the new-isntalled drivers. I try the same with the driver without catalyst, but the same problem occurs and again I have to fiddle about with the integrated gfx. So I have to re-install the old drivers from the cd I have, and CoD II doesn't start.
Anyone has any idea what I could do to get the game work?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Okay, my copy of CoD II reports me the alpha blending error thingie. I have Radeon 9600 pro 128MB graphics card and Asus P4S533-MX motherboard. I see that my gfx card is supported by the game, so that can't be the problem. So, I download the latest drivers from ati.com and install. Reboot. Ta-da: there's nothing on my screen but flashing stripes that cause me a headache. Then I have to take my GFX card out of the computer and plug the monitor to the integrated gfx to be able to uninstall the new-isntalled drivers. I try the same with the driver without catalyst, but the same problem occurs and again I have to fiddle about with the integrated gfx. So I have to re-install the old drivers from the cd I have, and CoD II doesn't start.
Anyone has any idea what I could do to get the game work?

I would download
driver cleaner. uninstall your video card. reboot and use driver cleaner to make sure all references to ati are removed. then reinstall the latest drivers. also install the latest gart driver from... (checks board at asus and looks like you have an sis chipset).. sis gart driver

one last reboot and you should be good. I might also suggest a firmware update for your system board.

if this doesn't resolve your issues then it may be that you have a bad video card. is a true ati card or made by 3rd party?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Just for reference (thanks for the support warriorscot)... check the pinned topic at the begginng of the games forum: http://www.geekstogo...y-2-t82284.html

retiredbinkie

retiredbinkie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Umm... The receipt doesn't hint anything about any third parties... Just says ATI Radeon. But I will be trying those things tomorrow. And probably I could try reinstalling directX. Thanks beforehand, I will be reporting here if this works.