Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

call of duty 2: video driver and alpha blending

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

callofdutyfreak

callofdutyfreak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have SP2 and DirectX 9.0c and still get the alpha blending error and my drivers are all up to date. I don't know whats wrong, does anyone know?

Advertisements

blog234

blog234

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm getting the problem with alpha blending also.

Here's my system specs:

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name UNIT234
User Name HP_Owner

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3100+
Motherboard Name Asus K8S-LA (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 760GX, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/29/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9800 PRO (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
Monitor hp mx704 CRT monitor [NoDB] (CNG434033N)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST3160021A (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Optical Drive HP DVD Writer 630c
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148A (48x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 145478 MB (29425 MB free)
H: (FAT32) 7125 MB (1989 MB free)
Total Size 149.0 GB (30.7 GB free)

Input
Keyboard HP PS2 Keyboard (2K - 3)
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network
Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.0.5)
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Peripherals
Printer \\BOBTHEBUILDER\HP DeskJet 690C
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 690C on BOBTHEBUILDER
Printer Fax
Printer HP Deskjet 3840 Series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

Looks like it should work...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Blog, your specs indicates that it should work with the game. Since your getting the error I would try to reinstall directx 9.0c and see if that helps. also ati has released the 5.11 catalyst drivers for your card. uninstall the drivers through control panel and then reboot and install the latest drivers.

rickstaR

rickstaR

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey i have the same alpha blending problem but i am not completely useles with computers. ok i have 1 of those weedy intergrated intel graphics gard and i have a better card but i have no slot, do i need a nother motherboard or can i just update the card i have now

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

hey i have the same alpha blending problem but i am not completely useles with computers. ok i have 1 of those weedy intergrated intel graphics gard and i have a better card but i have no slot, do i need a nother motherboard or can i just update the card i have now

Hello rickstaR and welcome to Geeks to Go!

The Intel graphics cards are weedy and won't be able to run the game.
If you have no AGP slot then you need a new motherboard.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

I have SP2 and DirectX 9.0c and still get the alpha blending error and my drivers are all up to date. I don't know whats wrong, does anyone know?

Hello callofdutyfreak and welcome to Geeks to Go!

What are your system specs?
Have you tried reinstalling DirectX?
Have you tried uninstalling your drivers, rebooting and installing the latest drivers again?

darko989

darko989

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey i'm getting this video card do u think i can run cod2

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133136

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello darko989 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

The Geforce 5700 is on the supported list but you may have to lower some of the detail levels and resolution to get it to work well. Also speed depends on your overall system specs as well.

andresspok

andresspok

• Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the answers.
Does somebody know if it's at all possible to change the video card inside a Sony Vaio laptop?
thanks!

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

Zeus, what do you think about my problem? would you give some advice if it is possible please? thank you.

I've not had any experience with the 7800 cards as of yet.
It's a new card and problems do occur. I guess it's just a case of waiting for a patch and trying newer drivers when they come out. You could try beta drivers that are available on various sites to see if that helps.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

thanks for the answers.
Does somebody know if it's at all possible to change the video card inside a Sony Vaio laptop?
thanks!

Unfortunately it's not possible to replace a graphics card inside a laptop, so you'll need a new PC.

Estrange

Estrange

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've contacted with Activision support. They were so helpful and replied to me in 2 business day.
Here is the solution that they send it to me;

"Uninstall, then reinstall the latest available drivers for your video card. In your dxdiag file, it shows that all of the various DirectX accelerations are disabled.

Restart Your Computer by Using a Clean Boot Procedure:

When you start Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note: You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behavior.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
• Process SYSTEM.INI File
• Process WIN.INI File
• Load Startup Items

5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Launch and play the game immediately after cleanly booting your system and report back the results. Do NOT start any other programs prior to launching the game.

Send an updated dxdiag file with your next reply, one that reflects your computer its cleanly booted state, if you continue to experience problems with the game."

I noticed that all 3 options are greyed out. Actually I couldn't make them work. So format my pc, installed win2k SP4. Now all of them shows enabled.
Now Multiplayer works. But when I try to run the single game, it loads the game, I can see briefing section but when it starts to launch the game, it just shuts the game and turn back to windows!
Does anybody have an idea, what would be the reason? The weird thing is I can play multplayer game whithout any problems. Thanks.

miotis

miotis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank u ZEUS GB on your expert recomendations like: ''..you'll need new pc'', ''...you must buy latest video card...'', ''...that will not work with theese...'', etc. We are aware that theese will solve all the problems.

Everyone here knows for Minimal system requirements for CoD2 from Activision prospect, am I right.

So, do you know that game works also on GF2, Duron 1.2 MHz!!!, 256+128MB RAM?

This is call od our duty!, please concentrate your expertise to find a way and ability to play CoD2 on latest Centrino laptops with Intel integrated videos, because that is possible and that is what we need and why we are here.

Down with ''buy an XBOX'', ''buy a new PC, or card''!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Thank u ZEUS GB on your expert recomendations like: ''..you'll need new pc'', ''...you must buy latest video card...'', ''...that will not work with theese...'', etc. We are aware that theese will solve all the problems.

Everyone here knows for Minimal system requirements for CoD2 from Activision prospect, am I right.

This is call od our duty!, please concentrate your expertise to find a way and ability to play CoD2 on latest Centrino laptops with Intel integrated videos, because that is possible and that is what we need and why we are here.

concentrate our effort.... are you serious?

just to refresh everyone's memory:

Minimum System Requirements

- 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 64 MB Hardware Accelerator video card and the latest drivers*
- English version of Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP
- Pentium® IV 1.4GHz or AMD Athlon™ XP 1700+
- 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
- 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.
- 100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
- 4.0GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 600MB for Windows® 2000/XP swap file)
- 8x Speed CD-ROM drive or 2x DVD-ROM drive

Multiplayer Requirements:
- Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
- Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers
- LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Call of Duty® 2. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatibility.

This product does not support Microsoft® Windows® 95/98/ME or NT.

SUPPORTED CHIPSETS:
- ATI® Radeon® 8500
- ATI® Radeon® 9000
- ATI® Radeon® 9200
- ATI® Radeon® 9500
- ATI® Radeon® 9600
- ATI® Radeon® 9700
- ATI® Radeon® 9800
- ATI® Radeon® X300
- ATI® Radeon® X550
- ATI® Radeon® X600
- ATI® Radeon® X700
- ATI® Radeon® X800
- ATI® Radeon® X850
- nVidia® GeForce™2 Ultra
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 3/Ti Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 4/Ti Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ FX Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 6 Series
- Recommended nVidia® GeForce™ 7 Series or higher

NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives.

You may go to this link: cod 2 check for system requirements give it a min. to work.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello miotis and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I've have never said buy the latest graphics card. I've said buy a new graphics card but that doesn't mean it has to be the latest. People aren't always aware that these suggestions will help them play the game because not everybody that comes on to this board is a computer expert. If everybody was a computer expert I wouldn't have been in the IT industry for 10 years and forums like this one probably wouldn't exist!

The minimum requirements are on the back of the DVD case but not everybody knows their system specifications so in turn not everybody knows if their systems will run the game or not.

No I didn't because i've never tried it before and I don't have a 1.2GHz Duron.
There is often a bit of flexibility in system requirements for games but they are normally about right.
I got Far Cry to work on a Duron 1.3GHz, with 256MB PC133 SDRAM and 64MB Geforce 2 MX 400 while running under XP Pro but it ran slow and ruined the gameplay. I think i'd rather play any game the way it's supposed to be play and with all the eye candy on maximum!

How can I get COD2 to work with Intel integrated graphics when the graphics card doesn't support all the features of DirectX9? If the hardware doesn't support the features then why would I spend my time trying?
Contact Activision tech support and they'll say the same thing!

If they are the only ways someone can play a game then i'll tell the members that!
Oh by the way COD2 isn't on the XBOX it's only available for the PC and XBOX360.