Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

call of duty 2: video driver and alpha blending

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

darko989

darko989

• Pip
  • 3 posts
what should i do since the only thing that i didn't pass was the Video Card Driver Version and Sound Card Driver Version. should i get a new video card or what. thanks, oh yea that link for the requirements was great.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Thanks Darko. do you know who makes your video card and sound? if its onboard sound then you will need to visit the motherboard web site (asus.com.tw for example). Same with the video. if its at then you can go to ati.com or nvidia.com.

darko989

darko989

• Pip
  • 3 posts
it's a compaq presario so go to intel or compaq.com

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
hp.com actually since they own compaq. just go to the bottom right of thier website... last option to find support/driver downloads.

Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have the same problem as was stated earlier on. When I start the game, a box pops up that says Call of Duty 2 has encountered an unrecoverable error with DirectX. I have 9.0c on my computer, but it still comes up.

You said that the answer to this is a new graphics card. Is that the case if I have a Dell 4700?

Thanks guys. I've had this game for like 2 weeks now, and still haven't played it!

miotis

miotis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
''
How can I get COD2 to work with Intel integrated graphics when the graphics card doesn't support all the features of DirectX9? If the hardware doesn't support the features then why would I spend my time trying?
Contact Activision tech support and they'll say the same thing!
''

GF2 also doesn't support DirectX9, but CoD2 works with GF2 !!! What can you say how, let us hear you. You probably missed that ''Minimum requirements'' says that 1.4MHz P4 iz minimum (or AMD 1.7...Athlon), I told you that game works on 1.2 Duron !!!! - write down that...
Why to spend time trying, you ask? Please, don't waste your time anymore on that.

''
Oh by the way COD2 isn't on the XBOX it's only available for the PC and XBOX360.
''
Please, be precise also when is place for it.

Edited by miotis, 02 December 2005 - 02:40 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

Hello,

I have the same problem as was stated earlier on. When I start the game, a box pops up that says Call of Duty 2 has encountered an unrecoverable error with DirectX. I have 9.0c on my computer, but it still comes up.

You said that the answer to this is a new graphics card. Is that the case if I have a Dell 4700?

Thanks guys. I've had this game for like 2 weeks now, and still haven't played it!

Hello Dr. Dazzle and welcome to Geeks to Go!

The Dell Dimension 4700 ships with an Intel integrated graphics card which isn't 100% DirectX 9 compatible and they're quite weedy anyway.
You need a new graphics card and fortunately the 4700 does have an AGP slot so a new graphics card will fit into your PC.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

GF2 also doesn't support DirectX9, but CoD2 works with GF2 !!! What can you say how, let us hear you. You probably missed that ''Minimum requirements'' says that 1.4MHz P4 iz minimum (or AMD 1.7...Athlon), I told you that game works on 1.2 Duron !!!! - write down that...

As I said before there is often a bit of flexibility in system requirements for games but they are normally about right. If you read the "minimum requirements" you'd notice that the Geforce 2 is listed as a supported chipset where as the Intel integrated cards aren't.

Why to spend time trying, you ask? Please, don't waste your time anymore on that.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't wasting my spare time on it anyway.
I love playing games i've been playing games since I was six and I give up my spare time to help out in various forums. Like many people who help out on forums i'll do research into a problem but i'm not going to do research into some that's as futile as this. There must be a reason why the Intel integrated cards don't appear on the minimum requirements, go ask Activision and they'll tell you why.

Oh by the way COD2 isn't on the XBOX it's only available for the PC and XBOX360.
Please, be precise also when is place for it.

I was only trying to help.
Call of Duty 2 is only available on PC and XBOX360. The XBOX version is called Call of Duty 2: Big Red One.

One final point though would be that if you don't like the advice that's been given to you then you don't have to take it, there are thousands of other forums you could use for more opinions.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 02 December 2005 - 03:30 AM.

Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Dr. Dazzle and welcome to Geeks to Go!

The Dell Dimension 4700 ships with an Intel integrated graphics card which isn't 100% DirectX 9 compatible and they're quite weedy anyway.
You need a new graphics card and fortunately the 4700 does have an AGP slot so a new graphics card will fit into your PC.

Thanks Zeus!

What kind of graphics card would you recommend for my computer (I'm in Canada, if that makes any difference)?

Also, kind of off topic, I have Brothers in Arms on my computer, but when it plays, I can only hear the sound, with no picture. Would a new graphics card fix that problem also?

Thanks again.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

Thanks Zeus!

What kind of graphics card would you recommend for my computer (I'm in Canada, if that makes any difference)?

Also, kind of off topic, I have Brothers in Arms on my computer, but when it plays, I can only hear the sound, with no picture. Would a new graphics card fix that problem also?

Thanks again.

I would recommend at least a Nvidia Geforce 6600 which will play all of today's games. If you want a more future proof card then a Nvidia Geforce 6800 would be a better bet. There are however graphics cards made by ATI that are just as good as Nvidia but unfortunately I can't really advise on them because i've not had a ATI graphics card in about 5 years.

Brothers in Arms doesn't support the Intel integrated graphics card either so that could be the reason for the lack of display.

Advertisements

Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Cheers, Zeus!

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

Cheers, Zeus!

Glad I could help!

rwalton77

rwalton77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Need the help of Zeus or any other Olympian. Bought CoD2, got the now familiar "alpha blending" error message. After reading all the stuff about how the Intel graphics card sucks and could not run the game I took it upon myself to go out and buy a new GeForce6200 card. NIce thought......bad move. Now have an UNWORKABLE game with a card that does NOT FIT my PC. What can I do? Which card will fit this particular PC. Thanks in advance. Details below:

Dell Dimension4600C, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.66GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
Integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics

100% (collecting Memory (RAM) information)

Refresh screen
Local Disk (partitioned) ST340014A

Installed Capacity - 31.35 MB
None Used: Unknown
Free: Unknown

(C:) Capacity - 37.21 GB
Used: 28.02 GB
Free: 9.19 GB

Display
Type: Plug and Play Monitor
Color: True Color (32 Bit)
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Screen Saver: Active

Modem
Manufacturer: Unknown
Model: Conexant SmartHSFi V.9x 56K DF PCI Modem
Driver: Unknown

USB Controller
Manufacturer: Intel
Model: Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Driver: usbuhci.sys
Tuesday, December 30, 2003
Supported

USB Controller
Model: Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Supported

USB Controller
Model: Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Supported

USB Controller
Model: Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Supported

USB Controller
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
Model: Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Driver: usbehci.sys
Supported

CD-ROM Drive (D:)
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Model: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N
Driver: cdrom.sys
Thursday, August 29, 2002
Supported

Video Card
Model: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
Driver: ialmnt5.sys
Tuesday, February 10, 2004
Supported

Sound Card
Manufacturer: Analog Devices, Inc.
Model: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Driver: smwdm.sys
Wednesday, June 18, 2003
Supported

Network Card
Model: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Driver: bcm4sbxp.sys
Wednesday, January 15, 2003
Supported

Network Card
Model: 3Com HomeConnect Cable Modem External with USB - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Driver: 3ccmusb.sys
Sunday, January 25, 2004
Supported

Network Card
Model: 3Com HomeConnect Cable Modem External with USB - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Driver: Unknown

Floppy Drive
Not Installed

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 512 MB

Printers
Default Printer

HP OfficeJet T Series Printer
Driver: hpontu05.dll
Wednesday, October 24, 2001
Not Supported

Impres. HP OfficeJet T Series
Driver: hpokm05.dll
Saturday, May 29, 2004
Not Supported

Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver
Driver: mdigraph.dll
Supported

HP OfficeJet T Series Fax
Driver: hpontu05.dll
Wednesday, October 24, 2001
Not Supported

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver
Driver: fxsdrv.dll
Supported

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello rwalton77 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

To be able to use an AGP graphics card in your Dell you need to buy a low profile AGP graphics card.

rwalton77

rwalton77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Any specific recommendations, bearing in mind it must support CoD2??