Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE parent window closes - new window opens - no error msg

• Please log in to reply

DiYeti

DiYeti

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=3] I'm using IE 6 and this problem has just popped up in the past week or so. When I click on a link (unrelated to the parent site) in a browser window, the parent window closes and the link opens in a new browser window. If a link is related to the parent site, it opens the page in the same window, preserving my history. I've looked high and low for how to repair this. How do I get IE 6 to leave the parent browser windows open?
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I have found that my IE starts acting strange in any way, a good cleaning fixes it. I run Spybot, Adaware, and Cleanup. All three are available on this forum at http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852 The link at the top of this forum where it says
"Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here. " will get you there.

DiYeti

DiYeti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I did all three things you listed: Spybot, Adaware, and Cleanup. Adaware did clean 27 things, I run Spybot all the time, and Cleanup took minimal time. IE is still closing the parent window. *SIGH* Next?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Try doing a repair of IE. There is a sticky post at the top of this forum with a guide on how to do this.