Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do i need any more for wireless?

• Please log in to reply

benners

benners

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have wireless internet connected up on my laptop, no problem.
im currently using a USB adapter.

but im wondering if my laptop already has a built-in adapter?
i ran a Belarc computer profile and got:

Smart Link 56K Modem
1394 Net Adapter
Belkin 54Mbps Wireless USB Network Adapter (currently used)
PRISM 802.11g Adapter (3886)
SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

im wondering if the PRISM adapter will do the same thing as the USB? so i dont need the USB adapter plugged?

only thing is, i've tried to configure internet connection with the USB adapter unplugged and not had any joy.

i just don't know what the hardware is i've got?
do i still need an extra plug-in/usb adapter?

thank you :tazz:

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I would check your device mgr to see if the PRISM device is working properly; now that you have used a USB network adaptor for your network/internet, you will likely have to "release" the IP addresses and "renew" them with your built in PRISM adaptor.

benners

benners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
edit (see below)

Edited by benners, 31 October 2005 - 03:25 AM.

benners

benners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you kd1966

does that mean the PRISM adapter is an internal device that will connect to my wireless receiver?

ie. it will do the same job as my USB adpater... only it's in-built.

:tazz:

PS. any idea how i go about 'releasing' the ip addresses and 'renewing' them? ... sorry, bit of a newbie when it comes to this :)

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey Benners,

What operating system are you running on your laptop?

In answer to your latest post, if you checked your device manager as kd suggested and you found your PRIZM adapter there, then most likely yes, it is an internal device that will do the same job your USB adapter is doing. Post again if you need help checking the device manager.

If you did find it in the device manager, the first thing I would check is if there is a physical switch somewhere on your laptop that enables/disables the card. Laptops often have these switches so that you can disable the card when you're not using the network in order to save battery power. You might check your laptop manual for help finding the switch.

Regarding kd's suggestion to release and renew your ip addresses, from a command prompt, type "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew". This is assuming you're running Windows XP.

Before going much further, it would be very helpful to know which operating system you're using.

-ricci

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok, I'm obviously a new member. I just noticed where it says what operating system you're using, duh...

So figure out if your laptop has that switch and if so, turn it on. Then make sure your device manager lists the PRISM adapter under the Network Adapters category, and that it says it is functioning properly.

Next, check your network connections to make sure a connection is listed for your PRISM adapter. (Network connections can be found in your control panel).

If there is a connection there, double-click it. This should bring up the Wireless Network Connection dialog prompting you to choose a wireless network. Since you got your USB device working, I'm going to assume for the time being that you can take it from here. Post again if you need further assistance.

-ricci

benners

benners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
lol there was a simple solution!

i uninstalled the USB adapter (via remove/add programs) and then the internal one kicked in nice and easy!
it seems the internal adapter wouldnt recognise a network with the USB adapter installed.

thanks for everyone's comments, been real helpful :tazz: