Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I?

• Please log in to reply

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a Gigabyte 8S661FXMP-RZ motherboard and a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 512K Cache, 800MHZ FSB. Hyperthreading,'can I overclock the CPU and if I can't tell me what I need and if I can tell me how and what cooling device and other things I need. Every thing I need to know.

Advertisements

Wombat52

Wombat52

• Pip
  • 3 posts
There are a couple of ways to approach overclocking with a P4.

In the BIOS, Frequency settings, Go up 1Mhz, Save settings and boot, check stability and temps. Motherboard Monitor is a good program for following temps. Also, try Everest Home Edition, it's got an overclocking tab you can check as you go. Go up too high with your settings and your system can overheat, lockup, restart randomly or worse.

How are you cooling? You might look into a water-cooling system, or put in a couple more case fans.

Again, in BIOS, Advanced Chipset features, DRAM Timings, set to manual, try to take the FIRST setting, most likely 2.5 DOWN to 2.0, Save and reboot.

I've read that taking the first setting UP to 3 will give you more room to OC in the frequency settings.

If your BIOS supports it, you can mess with voltage settings, haven't done it myself.