Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need spoolsv.exe

• Please log in to reply

glimmertwin

glimmertwin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
[SIZE=7]

Hi -
I'm new to this board. I've been searching for help in the Dell Community Forum with no luck. I was in my Task Manager, ending some tasks that just didn't look right, and I ended the "spoolsv.exe" task, because I read it could contain a trojan. But it also is an important component of my printer! I just didn't know, I feel terrible. I really need my printer. I've reinstalled the printer driver, no luck. I keep getting a message that I need the Printer Spool Service.

How do I get it back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
glimmertwin

Advertisements

RaaF

RaaF

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
If you just ended the service and did not delete anything, restarting windoze should do the trick.

glimmertwin

glimmertwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No, restarting Windows didn't do the trick. I don't even know what to do next. At the moment, I am using Ad-Aware, performing a system scan. AFter that, ???

Any other suggestions??

Thanks!
Glimmertwin

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi

What ver of windows are you using

Win 2003

Xp pro

xp home

windows 2000

windows me

Nt 4

Nt 3.5

Win 98 se

kc :tazz:

glimmertwin

glimmertwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi-

I'm running Windows XP Home, with Service Pack 2 (which I wonder about), Dell AIO 940 Printer.

Hey - I just got the spoolsv.exe back on my task manager. But, now when I try to print anything, I get a message that my printer cannot communicate with my computer, and that my current software setting is not set to USB Port. What now?

Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then printers and faxes, right click the printer then properties, click ports and put a tick in an available USB Port, click apply and OK. If you want the print spooler to run automatically, click start then run and type services.msc and scroll down to print spooler, double click and set the start up to automatic

Mpower738

Mpower738

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all

I've been having similar problems with a PC I've built for a friend, he has an Epson C60 printer, and I had to get drivers for it off the internet to run it with XP pro that I installed.
Problem is this, spoolsv.exe does not start up when the computer boots up so that it will not print. I can start spoolsv manually by typing net start spoolsv as a command prompt, and then it works but only for that session. I have checked services.msc as keith suggested. It is set to automatic as it should be but it is not starting on boot up.

Can I somehow insert spoolsv.exe into Hkey local machine/software/microsft/windows/current version/run
in the registry so it starts every time???

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I have a similar problem. I was getting spoolsv.exe error messages and spooler subsystem erors. I would start the print spooler service but 5 minutes later it would stop. I found something on the Internet saying to edit the registry. I followed the instructions and the print spooler service now stays started but I still can't print.

The spoolsv.exe and spooler error messages are gone. Now when I try and print it says: 'check your printer driver properties for usb connection'. I downloaded an uninstall tool and the latest drivers from Brothers website but they didn't help.

Our little group is growing....

glimmertwin

glimmertwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes, it is growing isn't it? And I am increasingly frustrated, as I need my printer on a daily basis. What the heck is next? How can something like this cripple our printers.

Someone has to know what the problem is, h***, I'll blow a kiss to the first one who rescues us!!!!

Please help!!!!!!
Sheryl

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Sheryl....check to see of your print spooler service is running.

Advertisements

glimmertwin

glimmertwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
"spoolsv.exe" is running in Task Manager. Is there someone else I need to look for spool service?

Thanks!!!!
Sheryl

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
right click on 'my computer' , click on 'manage' , expand 'services and apllications. Click on 'services' and check to see if 'print spooler' is running.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just stopped the print spooler service and watched the spoolsv.exe service dissapear from task manager. So Glimmer's print spooler service is running and we both have the same problem:

There is a loss of connection through the usb port.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi all ;)

Please open control panel then look for the printer icon, now double click on the printer icon.
If your printer is not showing click add a printer then just follow the instructions that windows
is showing.
When you have added the printer Reboot your PC

If you still have a problem post back in this thread please state what Windows you are using

Thank You

kc :tazz:

glimmertwin

glimmertwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
First I righted clicked computer, clicked on manage, expanded service and applications and guess what, print spooler is not there, even tho i'ts in task manager.
Then, I opened Control Panel, double clicked printer icon, and it's there but it is named Dell AIO Printer A940 (Copy One). ?????

Any suggestions how this happended?
Thanks so much so far for your help.
Sheryl