Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2 Installation Error

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I did a repair install of Windows XP (reverts it back to SP1), and I went to go and install all the Microsoft Updates from the website. I downloaded a few of them and they installed with no problem. However, when I got to Service Pack 2, it downloaded and began the scanning and backing up process of system files and the registry. After about 15 minutes of it running or so, it all of a sudden gives me an error that says on the top in the blue bar next to the X to close it: "Service Pack 2 Setup..." or something along those lines
then the error says "Access Denied."

I am on the only administrator account, the only account on the computer, and this has happened numerous times after numerous restarts. I have no other programs running. I also turned off my antivirus and firewalls and such too.

Any ideas, or should I just do a clean install of Windows XP?
I can grab my actual Windows XP Home disc from my other comp at home. The one I used was the one that came with my current pc, but it was just a Recovery disk so I dont know if everything was on there or not. So, should I just use that and do a clean install and save my important files on my hd?
Thanks.

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hiya,
Okalidokali
this following should solve the problem :tazz:
Click here to fix the problem

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
nevermind, and im embarassed I didnt search the knowledge base first...totally forgot lol

Edited by Exdeus, 31 October 2005 - 03:55 PM.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Did you check the link?

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Did you check the link?

Yup, thats why im embarassed, that I asked without looking first lol! :tazz:

Im working on what it says to do right now

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, I have done all of that and such and gone through that thing four or five times. I have reset the permissions and such, and it is still doing it.

So, I take it doing a clean install is my best bet?

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Actually, what I would reccomend over a clean install, to avoid problems with installing SP2 later, would be to make a slipstreamed Windows XP Home Install disk with SP2.

Edited by MikeFromNY, 31 October 2005 - 06:40 PM.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
How do I go about doing that?

I have my Windows XP Home disk with me, but its only SP1...so how do I make that disk?

and with that disk, would I do a repair install and it would update to SP2 or whats the deal with that one?

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
You would have to do a fresh install of windows XP once you had the disk... So I don't reccomend doing this unless you're set on backing up your data, formatting, and re-installing windows.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Seems to me that is the most likely thing that I am going to do at the moment.

So, how do I go about making this disk?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey Exdeus!

Look at this link on how to slipstream SP2 into your windows xp CD.

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Fenor:

Do you think that I should just do a clean install again?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Really can't hurt to try a REPAIR INSTALLATION once you have the slipstreamed CD made. Of course make sure you have everything you need backed up off the cd first before doing so. If the repair installation doens't work, then do a full installation where you format the drive, etc...

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Fenor:

I already tried a repair install with my original SP1 cd-rom. It didn't do much at all. Will the SP2 really make much difference?

If you remember, my System Restore wouldnt re-enable, and even after doing a repair install, I still had these problems, so it obviously isnt fixing all of my corrupt windows files. I had to manually install the sr file again.

So, will the SP2 make much difference as far as my file system being back in tact?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just do a fresh install then, using the slipstreamed cd you make, and that will make certain that all your problems go away.

Fenor