Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2 Installation Error

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Deal.

I'll get started on that sometime tomorrow I think. After that, will you give me a hand tweaking out XP?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sure thing! :tazz:

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Where this slipstreamed disc talks about adding the file wpa.dbl, is that necessary or can I just re-activate windows when I reinstall it? Also, how do I integrate other files, and should I really bother if I can just download them and such? The only other things I could think of are my sound card and video card right?

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I don't use the wpa.dbl file with my slipstreamed disk, and have no problem, but yes, all you have to do is activate after installing. For sake of less problems I didn't add anything besides what was needed to mine.

electrixx

electrixx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried that process, but the problem is the thing I get that says "error 5: access is denied", isn't next to anything like "HKEY" or whatever... it's with this:

"c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\update\update.inf"

and that isn't in the registry.. so what can i do with that?

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey fellas. Just to let you all know, I have completed my fresh install and I am currently working on updating windows as I wasnt able to make the slipstreamed cd-rom. I bought those Black Memorex discs from the store, and of course my Sony Dual layer dvd burner wont read them...psst...so yeah, im updating at the moment.

However, one thing here is very unusual. The original problem that I had was the System Restore would not enable. It still won't enable and is giving me the same error. any ideas here???

The only thing I could think of is my BIOS is giving me that your hard drive is going to go bad thing at boot up, but that has been saying that for months...??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have S.M.A.R.T. for your hard drive enabled in the BIOS? If so I suggest that you disable it because it really hurts more then it helps. It can send false information to the computer making it think the hard drive is going bad. If it isn't enabled (or available) then you might want to think of getting a new hard drive.

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yeah its that SMART thing that is telling me that. I already have another 260gb hd in there that I use as backup, but I have been getting that error message from SMART for at least 6 months and my drive is running fine.

Any idea on why system restore still won't enable itself or let me enable it?