Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer way too slow to be healthy!

• Please log in to reply

zoira98

zoira98

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi!
I have a Dell Laptop running on Windows XP. I had a virus about a year ago and they "fixed" it at the store. However, it has been very, very slow since then. I run Norton Anti virus, and it says that there is nothing there. I am unable to remove my Aol program because my computer freezes. Running multiple programs i s ahuge problem! Wha should I do to solve this huge problem?
Thanx! :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it's slow browsing the web you might want to try winsocket fix. Could you describe your situation a bit more, what is it normal at and slow at doing?

zoira98

zoira98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thankz!
Slow at browsing ... slow at opening programs (even slower when one program is already running). When a new window pops up, it is blank at first, then after a few seconds, the information shows up. Downloading and uploading even slowere than the rest.

zoira98

zoira98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
? Don't know what to do

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Open the Control Panel to Adminstrative Tasks and scour your event viewer logs for any clues. Double click on any entry that says Error or is otherwise significant. Also keep your task manager open while you're working and keep an eye on running processes and networking, you'll have to switch between them every once and a while, to see what is running and using your network resources. From your description malware is likely. If so. post in the malware forum and let them help you.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi Zoira
Looks like u could also add some more RAM. Besides Tyger's suggestions, how long has it been since you cleaned out the system? if its been a while u'd want to run disk cleanup or a utility like CCleaner and then defragment your drive, this will help improve speed esp if ur system was loaded with unwanted stuff or the drive was badly cluttered. Might as well also clean out the dust inside the cases, check if ur fans are running properly etc. Some links
http://aumha.org/a/health.htm
http://www3.telus.ne...mar/slowcom.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hi zoira, i agree with dagger, that you probably need to run xp's disk clean up and defragment your drive....but do not run CCleaner unless you've used it before...besides...xp's disk cleanup will do what you would be using CCleaner for...i also suggest doing start > run > chckdsk /f....it will tell you that it can't preform the action, and ask you if you want to schedule the check on reboot...then reboot...