Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my harddrive died quite awhile ago....

• Please log in to reply

heyarnold

heyarnold

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i was using my computer awhile ago and suddenly it started making a weird clunking sound and my computer froze. i restarted it and my comp won't boot from the hard disk.

is there any reason my hard drive might have died? i only used that comp for about 3 years.

however months before tht i changed my bios settings so that my video adapter wouldnt be able to share any memory with my ram by chaning shared memory setting to zero. then my compute rwouldnt boot up when i did that. i couldnt even get into the bios to change it back. i was told i had to reset it. one way was to take out the cmos battery and put it back in. i did that and it didn't work. the other way was to reset these jumpers on my motherboard from normal mode into clear mode and back.

i set the jumpers to clear and then put them back into normal and my computer still wouldn't boot up properly. so then i just left them in clear mode and my computer was able to run normally again. is it normal to have your computer running with the jumper pins set on their clear mode? could that have caused complications with my harddrive?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

First the hardrive, if its making a clicking noise or clunking and froze the computer the drive has failed and its time for a new one, 3 years for hardrive if its used frequently is about average in my opinion but I have seen drives last much longer, its one of those things that you can't tell how long they last.

the jumper setting you describe would have nothing to do with the drive failing.

Do you no the make and model of the motherboard? I would like to look for a manual and check that jumper. Is it possible you are confused about the jumper position because it is not at all normal for a board to run in the clear cmos position. If in fact it is in this position I would not change it again because there is something wrong and I would fear if it was disturbed in anyway the board might not work again.

But again the position of this jumper had nothing to do with the hdd failing.

Rick

heyarnold

heyarnold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
M754LMR is my motherboard.

thank you for the response. and yes my jumpers are set to the clear cmos position and have been running. i thought it was weird too,

i have the manuel here with me. jumper 9 is the clear cmos memory jumper.

normal operation mode is short pins 1-2.

clear cmos memory mode is short pins 2-3.

Edited by heyarnold, 30 October 2005 - 10:26 PM.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
HIya,
if their is important text files and so on you need to veiw on your hard drive i would recomed downloading linux Knopixx. To do that click here. L.K. is a o.s. that runs of your cd-rom/dvd-rom.

heyarnold

heyarnold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
if my harddrive died how can i still view text files on them? sorry if the question seems dumb. i don't know much about computers even though i use em quite a bit.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
l o l ya it is supper cool i love linux

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
If your hard drive has died (and the clunking sounds you describe hardly fill one with optimism) then you will not be able to recover any data from it.

There are professional services that can recover the data, they do this by disassembling the drive and examining the platters directly.

However to use these services, well let me put it this way, just how good is your credit rating?

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I have dead drive and i need to get some important txt files of it so i put in the linux knoppix and i got the files off...was i luckey?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
or the drive wasn't dead....when we're talking about "dead" drives...we mean physically damaged...if a read write head come's off of the arm....(the usuall reason for the clicking or clunking) then...doesn't matter what you do...it's not gonna work well...now if the drive fails for another reason...either software or driver corruption...then you may be able to access the information through a live os boot cd such as knoppix...but if the drive is truley physically compromised...i wouldn't trust too much data that you do get off of it..

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
no it was dead not spining at all

heyarnold

heyarnold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
added in a new harddrive by taking it off this older comp. when i try to connect it and start up the computer it wouldn't work. the computer would just make alarm sounds. beep..beep..beep......beep..beep..beep

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your description of what happened with the HD is not very clear. The fact that you get a clacking noise from a HD doesn't mean that it is already dead but surely its not far away from this point. If you can operate it between freezes hurry up and backup important data.

If I understood correctly you installed another used HD and it also doesn't work. I think there are 3 possibilities: either the second drive is also in a bad shape, or your primary IDE onboard connection is damaged or the flat cable that connect the HD to the board is faulty (broken or bent pins?) . Disconnect any drive from primary IDE connection and connect your system drive as master on secondary IDE.

Re. Bios. A bios can run even with a dead battery, and therefore I suppose it will also run in clear position. At this situation the BIOS chip gets current from the power supply. However, it is only pssible to run the computer on default values. You can try this very simply: adjust day and time, reboot the computer and see if the time remains as you set it or shows a date several years back. My feeling is that when you took out the battery you did't leave it out long enough. (10-15 minutes or so). If you left the jumper in clear position then your battery must be dead by now. Disconnect the computer from the wall socket, set the jumper to normal operating mode, insert a new battery, plug to the power and start the computer.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Also try and reseat the ram maybe it came loose when you switched drives around.

But I agree with y.a make sure the ide cable is seated and check that the red wirer on the ide cable is connected to pin 1 on the motherboards ide connection. Pin 1 is usually closest or faces the the power wirer/connection on the drive and if you look very closely it will be labled on the board with a number 1.

Rick