Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL and Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

kjclements

kjclements

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am unable to use IE 6.0 with AOL. All URL's attempted come back as "cannot find server" (the page cannot be displayed). The connection settings under Internet Options indicate no checked boxes (AOL default), no boxes are checked under Automatic Configuration, Proxy Server, or Dial-up Settings). I recently switched from Earthlink to AOL as my ISP. I don't know if this has something to do with the problem or not. AOL tech support has been unable to offer any solutions that work. Can someone please help?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I am not surprised that AOL didn't help you. (I think this is whay the call it internet for dummies...no offense meant). Can you launch the internet connection wizzard? If you go to the control panel, internet connections, do you see a connection configured? Can you ping the ip address of your isp? Go to start, run, type cmd to go to a dos prompt. Type at theprompt>ping "the IP address or URL of your ISP server" You should get a response that looks like this "reply from ###.###.###.## bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=250. (where ### is the IP address of your ISP). You should not get "request timed out" If you do, you are not connected to your ISP. Are you using dial up or broadband?

Here is a troubleshooting guide from M$
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314095

and more
http://support.micro...onnection fails