Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bypassing Wireless?

• Please log in to reply

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
OKay, geeks to go has helped me out so much I thought this would be the first place to come. So heres my situation and I'll explain what I am trying to do.

My parents recently got comcast high-speed internet. The guy came in and he installed a wireless cable modem in there room. Not only does it broadcast the wireless signal throughout the house but it is also the cable modem. I have a wireless USB adapter in my rom that picks up the signal from that modem. Well here's the problem sometimes the connection is not as strong as I would like it to be and it, and I play alot of online games, ones that require alot of people to be on the screen at once. So what I would like to do is set up another cable modem in my room. I have a cable line in my room, and I'd like to have a hardline connection to the internet instead of the wireless. I want my parents to be able to keep the modem in there room, and have that continue to broadcast the wireless signal but I'd like to set up my computer to have a hard-line.

Also I can pick up internet signals around my neighbor hood, and there is a free netgear connection that I can use, but the signal is very low. I only have a 802.11b USB adapter. So my questions are:

1. Can I set up a cable modem in my room, that will not interfer with the wireless connection that is already in the house?

2. If I get a better adapter, say an 802.11G USB adapter, will that increase the signal strength of the netgear connection that I am picking up? If not what would I need on my end to increase that signal strength?

Advertisements

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Any ideas people?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would need a seperate phone line to avoid sharing

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
their cable modem should also have lan ports on it....most wireless modems are also cable ready....just run an ethernet cable from your room to theirs

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
This is true, but I would rather not run a cord all the way across my house seeing as there room is upstairs and mine is downstairs.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well then.....you need to purchase another subscription with the isp for you to have another cable modem in the house