Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help cannot even boot up in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, i added another stick of ram to my computer and all was well for the first reboot but i went to turn it on yesterday and it comes up with the dreaded blue screen of death with the following message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000d1 (0xbf985e05,0x000000ff,0x00000000,0xbf985e05)
*** win32k.sys - Address bf985e05 base at bf800000, Datestamp 422511a2

I have tried removing the new hardware and rebooting without success,i have also tried removing the cmos battery and power cord for 30 seconds or so and rebooting without sucess.

My mother board is a Soltek sl75-kav,1400 mhz amd processor. Hopefully this means something to someone out there! Phil Anderson, Charleville Queensland, Australia.

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
HIya, and welcome to g2g

Editted by Mod..

Although fineout is trying to help here, I feel I should clarify what he is trying to say..

First of all, EDO and sdram are two different breeds altogether and SDRam won't even fit an EDO ram slot so that shouldn't be your problem..

That being said, did you get the appropriate ram for your motherboard?? I suggest you go to www.crucial.com and search your system.. They will tell you exactly what you can use and, if you buy from them, it is guaranteed to work or your money back.

Now for your error message..

As per Microsoft..

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

Now, based on what you have said earlier, I would suggest you take a look at This Microsoft Fix

Murray

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for your advice i will check and test the ram tomorrow, Phil Anderson

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello phillipanderson10...

First, make sure that your RAM modules are firmly seated in the slots and the retainers are engaged. Do you get a single "beep" during bootup or a series of them?

The error code (0x000000d1) is usually associated with a driver issue. Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during the boot sequence. If you are able to boot to Safe Mode, try running a System Restore to a time before the problem began.

Keep me posted on your progress...

wannabe1

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Please look at the post fineout left you which I editted a bit for clarification!!

Murray

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the support everybody i'll try to cover all addressed issues. First of all there appears to be no way of getting the computer to get past the xp screen with the little blue bar at the bottom, the little bar scolls from left to right about 4 times then there is an audiable click (but no beeps) then the blue error screen, this happens wheather i just let the computer boot up normally,press f8 and select any of the safe mode options or try the last known good settings option. The ram i added is pc133(same as existing ram) which is all i thought i had to get right but i will check the link that murray pointed out to see what is compatible with my system,ram is installed correctly, Phil Anderson

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Download a program called memtest86 and install it on a floppy..

Now, boot your system with that floppy and let it run.. It will check your installed ram for errors..

Let it run for a couple of hours and see what it brings up..

Murray

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Problem solved! i borrowed a hard drive,installed xp and set it up as master and my other hardrive as slave, this allowed me to access everything that i didn't want to lose and move it onto the new hard drive, i then formatted and re installed xp on my old hard drive and then re-copied the files back onto my old hard drive. Thanks to everyone who gave advice it is very much appreciated,

Phil Anderson, Charleville, Qld, Australia