Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating BIOS chip

• Please log in to reply

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I've had a nightmare of a problem. (Don't need to read all of this)

----

Firstly, my motherboard died... I despaired as I went to the shop to get a new one, £40 for an ASUS model, usually £50, can't remember what type it was, but it was Socket 754 with 2 DIMM sockets and 3 PCI spaces. Anyway I fitted the new mobo and my linux bootloader failed so I couldn't load either OS. After cleaning my old motherboard (and other components), I could use it again, turns out there was too much dust in the DIMM slots. I reinstalled windows on the linux drive that I didn't really use so I could edit the autoexec.bat file to change the bootloader, but installed windows on the wrong hard drive losing ALL the data. I then decided to download the most recent version of windows XP Pro 64bit edition and used that and installed all the drivers, then try and find endless amounts of undelete software that'll actually work. I kept getting BSOD and had to reinstall windows about 3 times until it stayed proper.

----

I am trying to recover my files but it keeps on making my BIOS chip overheat (Moreso than normal) and my computer restarts, so to compensate I have a bag over it with some icecubes handy lol, but instead of thinking of any sort of cooling, I want to know how to sort this problem directly. Any ideas?

Also my Radeon 9800 keeps having garbled text in BIOS and stuff, and in windows there's a wierd pink graphic underlying some areas, and also in games that require Direct X, it messes about with the polygons making some really screwed up shapes. It used to be fixed by a little movement of the card, now even that doesn't work. Argh!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I then decided to download the most recent version of windows XP Pro 64bit edition and used that and installed all the drivers, then try and find endless amounts of undelete software that'll actually work.

Hi there

First off, can I ask how you managed to download XP Pro 64bit & where you downloaded it from?

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm assuming he/she has the 120 (140?) day trial version of the software... But you never know.

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yea I got the trial version. I'm not sure if it's the BIOS chip now. It was pretty cool from my ingenius 5 minute watercooling trick, and it still crashed. My CPU is around 50C and the hdd and motherboard is within limits so overheating isn't the problem.

I installed all the latest drivers they seem to work fine, but I had this computer restart thing before I even reinstalled windows. It's pretty wierd.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, I assumed it was probably the 120day evaluation version, but just wanted to check!

If the cpu temp is not going significantly above 50C, then I agree its probably not that. However, I wouldn't recommend placing bags of ice anywhere near the system either, to be honest!

What PSU (make & power rating) are you using?

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm using an antec PSU. I didn't check what it was, but I know its pretty nice :) and definatly enough wattage. lol the the icecube thing, and I realised that it wasn't acually the chip overheating. I'm going to upgrade my hdd to a WD Raptor SATA drive soon though, it might make a difference, my current drive won't defrag as it says there's an error, though windows inbuilt defrag and scandisk has no problem with it.

I have a new problem though, I was drunk one night and spilt water on my motherboard and it turned off :tazz: lol. Anyway it turns on now and everything, but it doesn't work. It gets up to POST error message 9.0 and stays there. According to the manual, it's when the bios takes over :S.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, water + live electronic components.....you've probably fried something, lol.