Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me remove Winfixer Popup [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I think everyone has problems with uninstalling Norton.

In the past, I have uninstalled it via ADD/REMOVE and its own uninstaller within the programme. I have then searched the whole of the PC for NORTON and NAV and deleted anything found. Also search for the word SYMANTEC but just question yourself over anything found since it is likely to be Norton but not 100% positively.

When you think they are all gone, use CCleaner or something similar to scan and correct your registry.

The positives you're getting with McAfee could be legitimate hits or could be the Norton quarantine showing. You need to check the message and note the path.

I'm glad you can get to safe mode, because that is good for getting rid of files and programmes. I would suggest that you try doing what I have indicated above in safe mode.

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
edit duplicate post

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 02 November 2005 - 03:10 PM.

zerky

zerky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Phil thanks for the reply,

I deleted Norton and Symantec files but NAV brought up a ton of files listed and associated to media center and other programs so I did not delete them. The ending error I'm recieving is that windows is trying to shut down TRDww:.... and then states it is not responding, I then press end now and the computer reboots.

Thank you

zerky

zerky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Phil,

I did a google on TRdww and found out it is my Total Recorder, I removed the program and now everthing seems fine!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
It sounds like all is well.

I will leave this thread open for a few days in case of misfortune.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.