Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Start-up Problems

• Please log in to reply

Grogger

Grogger

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Encountering a few problems and wondered if anyone had suggestions.
I received the latest security updates and experienced problems with the XP program so I read and decided to uninstall KB896688 since my problems resembled others. I then visited the Microsoft site, downloaded the file, saved it to my hard drive, turned off my AV and then installed it. All seemed to go well until I had to restart the computer and now it locks. I can start, the windows screen appears with the icons and in the bottom right a few programs start, but then it freezes and nothing works. System Restore will not work as it goes through the whole process and then says that the restore is incomplete since nothing has changed- I could choose any date and get the same response so it's obviously turned off. I can only access the Command Prompts and have gone into APPWIZ.CPL to delete KB896688 which was causing the original problems. However, on reboot, I still freeze after the Windows screen appears and about two icons appear in the bottom right of the window on start-up.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and they are very much appreciated.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Are you able to get into Safe Mode With Networking? (tap F8 while booting)

If so, boot your computer up into Safe Mode With Networking and have your computer scanned at Trend Micro's online virus scanner. Disinfect or delete any junk that it finds. When you're done, restart your computer and see if it works.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 31 October 2005 - 11:01 AM.

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
:tazz: I hope this is ok to put this here. Can anyone tell me what the dynamics are here? Nearly everytime we do updates there are time consuming "fixes" to be done. I just shudder when there are updates to be installed.
Thank you for any input on this.

Grogger

Grogger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Computerwiz and appreciate the welcome. I looked at many sites in my search for answers and found this site during my research. This is a very interesting place and I look forward to being a contributing member in the time ahead.
I'll try your recommended action of trying the Safe Mode with Networking. Tried everything else in safe mode and they all didn't work, but hopefully this will be different. I was also going to turn back on my system restore through cammand prompt or the registry, but don't know if any of the past dates will still be in memory or if they all disappear when it's turned off.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
They will have all been deleted when System Restore was turned off. A virus of some sort is most likely your problem, but one symptom could have many solutions, with only one being the correct one. Scanning for and cleanning any problems is the first step :tazz:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 31 October 2005 - 12:07 PM.

Grogger

Grogger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Too bad about the System Restore as that was the easy solution. If the Safe Mode with Networking doesn't work, can I go into the Windows XP repair feature and try to reinstall. It seems fairly safe, but I haven't had to use it in the past.
I just wonder what the next step would be if I can't get on the network to run a check with Trend Micro.
Thanks

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're correct. You can use the repair feature if you can't use Safe Mode or if Trend Micro doesn't help. Keep me informed of your progress.

Grogger

Grogger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I certainly will and thanks for the help.