Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System32.dll\gui.exe Trojan DLoader Infection HELP!

• Please log in to reply

whokiid

whokiid

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
[font=Arial Narrow][size=3]
I happened to run across several links that I thought would help me get ahead in a certain game I like to play.

I clicked the link, and downloaded whatever it was that the linked led me to. However, my computer went haywire when I tried to run the downloaded program. Applications started closing on their own, and my computer seemed to slow down some. Then I noticed that even when my Opera Internet Browser or Internet Explorer wasn't open, I would get random pop-ups.

I asked my friend what it could be, and he said my computer was infected.

I went to Trend Micro's free Online Virus Scan and it found many Trojan's. I promptly deleted them.

Pop-up's kept coming up and I started to panic, so I asked my computer friend what it might be. He told me to download AVAST! anti-virus software. So I downloaded it and ran a scan of my hard drives, folders, and removable disks. It found several hundred Adaware and Trojan programs. There was one thing that bothered me though, and it was the fact that the pop-ups kept coming up even after I deleted the virus files from avast!. I ran a boot scan with avast! and it found several more files such as Trojan-gen.exe.

Yet again, the pop-ups persisted.

I did another full scan with avast! and it came across 1 file that it had an error deleting and that was the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System32.dll\gui.exe

I have not been able to do anything to it, and I really do not want to have to resort to reformatting my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. What is HijackThis?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First of all, go to This Thread (<--- click here) and follow the instructions there..

Once you have finished, post a copy of your HiJackThis Log (HJT is explained in the link I sent you to) in the Malware Forum (Link underlined in my signature) and let the guru's there have a look at it..

They are very busy in there so it may take a day or two for them to get at it.. Patience !!

Murray

whokiid

whokiid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alright, I'll be sure to do that. Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Good luck.. I am sure the Malware guru's will have you cleaned up in no time!! :tazz:

Murray