Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking 2 computers to one dsl modem

• Please log in to reply

Aaronsmity

Aaronsmity

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i am thinking i am going to need a hum or something.. i hope i dont need a router because those are expensive... but i have 2 laptops (one is my roommates) they are only a couple feet apart from each other.. i just want to share an internet connection, not files or anything.. can anyone point me towards what i need to buy or a link to instructions? thanks alot

Advertisements

Aaronsmity

Aaronsmity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i meant hub not hum.. lol

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Aaronsmity

K, if both cps have a network card installed, the cheapest way possible is by purchasing a hub, cat5 network cables in whatever lenght you need, and if both cps have XP, run the network configuration wizard to set up the connection. :tazz:

Aaronsmity

Aaronsmity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so am i looking for anything in specific or just an ethernet hub and some cables?

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
To go cheap, pick up an Ethernet hub, couple of Cat5 cables, plug in the computers to the hub, plug the hub in and go at it.

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
if it's just connecting two computers, all you really need is a crossover cable, 2 nic's in one computer (that is connected to the the net, assuming dsl or cable... if it's a modem connection, then it just has to have 1 nic installed and the modem), and one nic in the other computer.

The main computer with the net connection needs to be configured to 'share' the internet connection... assuming they're XP os's, just run the Network Setup Wizard... choose the connection you want shared (the connection that is connected to the net... modem, or dsl, etc), and make sure you've chosen the 'this computer connects directly to the internet, other computers connect through this computer' part.

On the other computer, you can just go to the Settings/Control Panel/Network Connections, and right click on the Local Area Connection for the nic you have installed, choose properties, and scroll down the list till you see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)... highlight it, then click the Properties button and make sure the 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is checked. You should then have an internet connection on both computers.

The crossover cable can be purchased, or for such a short length you need, you could probably just make your own by cutting a regular Cat5e cable, and rewire (crossover) it yourself

here's an article on what wires need to be crossed over (don't worry, only 4 wires in cat5e cable are used in networking)
http://www.makeitsim...i_crossover.htm