Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows doesn't function in Normal or Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

comp98

comp98

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am trying to backup some data from this computer before I format and reinstall. However, I can't access either the normal boot mode or safe boot mode. I have tried each multiple times. It boots, the desktop loads, the icons appear, and then the taskbar is frozen, none of the icons can be highlighted, when I click Alt-Ctrl-Del Task manager is greyed out and cannot be selected. I went into the XP setup and tried to repair the XP installation, but the result is still the same. Is there any easy way I can get in to backup pictures and music? Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Advertisements

geryll

geryll

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am trying to backup some data from this computer before I format and reinstall. However, I can't access either the normal boot mode or safe boot mode. I have tried each multiple times. It boots, the desktop loads, the icons appear, and then the taskbar is frozen, none of the icons can be highlighted, when I click Alt-Ctrl-Del Task manager is greyed out and cannot be selected. I went into the XP setup and tried to repair the XP installation, but the result is still the same. Is there any easy way I can get in to backup pictures and music? Thanks in advance.

Ryan

I seem to be having the same problem. The only thing that works if mozilla. I can use the internet but that is all.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Comp98

Choose any restore point if you only need to get in to back up

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
If you're planning on reformatting the drive, what are you backing up onto?
The reason I'm asking is that it would be much simpler to install a new hd, load Windows XP onto the new drive then you can access your music & photos from your old drive set up as a slave.

Just thinking out loud / laterally!!

comp98

comp98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Backing it up to another computer over the network. It is a laptop and I dont currently have an ext harddrive to back up to. I will try to restore and see if it works, then repost. thanks!

comp98

comp98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Update-

was able to get into the system restore. however, there are no restore points so it wasnt too helpful. from the command prompt i was able to get into the registry and into the CurrentVersion\Run folder. It was filled with tons of bogus links to files. I cleared out about 50 of them. rebooted. Still- no access to any desktop shortcut, taskbar, nothing. Any ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Type sfc /scannow at a command prompt

System restore works better if is turned on :tazz:

comp98

comp98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yea, it was turned on though. i checked that

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
sfc /scannow or sfc.exe should start from a command prompt

comp98

comp98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The only way I was able to gain access to the information on the harddrive was to reinstall Windows XP as a new installation to the C:\Windows2 directory. Now, I must go about removing all the spyware that was present before. I will post my HiJackThis log in the proper section.