Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

netgear Wrouter and wNIC

• Please log in to reply

hthjones

hthjones

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I previously set up a girl friend's home laptop to connect to her Netgear wireless router using a netgear wireless card. All worked fine for several months. In the last couple of weeks, she cannot access the Internet. I checked to be sure the XP wireless controller is disabled and the netgear controller displays connected. The windows controller also shows connected but I can only ping - wirelessly - to the router gateway address, no further.

Internet/LAN settings are set to automatic and no proxy. She is running XP Home Edition.

Any suggestions to correct this problem?

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
you could try to "repair" the connection, as it's XP, but also check the def. Gateway (Should be the wireless router) While you're checking the Gateway IP Add, also check the rest of the IP add'sing - and can you disable the internal internal controller through BIOS? and why can't she use the internal wireless on the wireless router?

hthjones

hthjones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I replied incorrectly.

This a response to kd1968... she's using the wireless router but needs a wireless card because she does not have built in wireless capability on her laptop.

I can ping the router only via wireless connectivity. Can you give me some guidance on disabling the internal controller via BIOS?

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
If she doesn't have a built in wireless controller, you don't need to figure out how to disable it.

You know, I occasionally have this sort of problem where everything has been working fine and suddenly for no reason I can only ping as far as the router. There's something I always try first that has usually fixed whatever the problem is.

1. Shut down any computers using the router, probably just her laptop.
2. Unplug the power to the wireless router, wait 30 seconds.
3. Plug it back in and wait until it completely boots, if you can't tell 30 seconds should do.
4. Reboot the laptop and see if it starts working.

It sounds dumb, but it almost always works....

-ricci

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, so she has a built-in WIRED network/ethernet adaptor - so no, you should not have to disable it in BIOS, but should disable it in XP (As it looks like you did)

If you can still ping the router from the machine, then try to "repair" the connection before you reset the router

hthjones

hthjones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
what/where is the "repair" tool? I do not recall this option except in hardware manager options.

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'll tell you where the repair tool is, though I don't see what good it is going to do since you can ping the router and therefore your connection to it is working. Regardless, you'll probably want to follow the advise of the more senior member.

So, you can access the repair tool by opening Network Connections from the control panel and right-clicking on the wireless network connection and selecting repair.

Good luck.

-ricci