Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Font characters being substituted ie6

• Please log in to reply

Jaeger

Jaeger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
Problem is long in the tooth and could be difficult to described. I hope I manage it.

Some pages in IE6 don't display the correct form characters, in particular eBay (I use it quite a lot to buy and sell) my other problem is my Auction Management software runs on the back of IE and sets its system to it, so all my £ sign are J's everywhere, in emails the Auction software generates etc.

This has been my searching task for the last couple of days after getting rid of a malware Java infection. Not sure that it's related?

Security wise ... Running
AVG AntiVirus Latest.
NOD32 AntiVirus (running in tandem)
EWIDO Security Suite
Spyware Guard
Sygate Personal Firewall

connection via a Netgear ADSL Router
Also have Spamihiliator running.

I think I know what the problem is, but don't know how to solve/change it!
If I open IE6, Tools, Internet options on the bottom there is an option Fonts...

If I select that, you'll probably have Latin Based selected?
I've got Cyrillic. No matter what I do it won't change, I have selected Latin Based and saved but if I go back Cyrillic is selected again?

I'm only guessing that somewhere there's a registry entry I need to fix.

It's now effecting other program displays and my Sage accounts are looking silly not the numbers the display .

Hope someone has an answer and it's not ...
Set Regional Settings - Done that and all the others, Keyboard, etc.

Reinstalled IE6 ran new updates etc, currently on SP2. I have, I think, done all the obvious but without success. I'll happy follow any expert advice as I'm really stuck now.

I have checked my portable running IE6 and the set font is Latin Based.

Oh If I go to eBay and select View, Encoding and select Greek (ISO) the £ sign reappears, only on refresh it goes to a J again. :tazz:

Hope you understand from my explanation and can offer some sort of assistance to a very squint eyed, tired soul?

Thanks

Allan

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Is it possible that some of these fonts are downloaded from the websites and something may be blocking the download, or a missing file may not enable downloading? When you visit a site you might want to check in the downloaded program files folder (the object folder in Internet Options) to see if there is a font package there.

Jaeger

Jaeger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for responding.

Have resolved all issues by doing much needed rebuild. Almost finished and once set up will be going along to the Malware forum for a report.

Thanks again.

Regards

Allan