Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
just a small problem, i cannot end a few processes in my windows task manager. i can click end process over and over and it wont end. like googletalk.exe and aim.exe ever hear of this and if so, how is it solved?? im confused!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up and remove ticks from google and AIM

Click apply, reboot then when it gets to the desktop click do not run the configuration utility when windows starts

From start up you can remove the ticks for most things, leave the firewall and anti virus enabled, along with any antispyware programmes

You can still run programmes you remove the ticks for, though they may take a bit longer to start because they did not load at start up

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok keith

i did what u said step by step. in msconfig startup tab, there was a tic for aol which i unticked and there wasnt any entry for googletalk. so i restarted and i got back to windows and chose not to run utility each time like u said. i first opended my task manager and they were gone. so i tried AIM again and when i went to sign on, it stpopped responding and is now again stuck in task manager as running and wont end. also i tried to login into my googletalk and that wouldnt connect and i closed it and that is also still shown as running in my task manager. were back to step one dude,lol. im lookin at my task manager now and it shows aim.exe using 18.656k mem and googletalk.exe is using 7,260k mem. BUT my CPU usage is at normal level of 0% to 5%
The application tab only shows the Firefox pages i have open as of now. this is now weirding me out. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go back to msconfig, put the dot in normal start up, click apply then reboot

This is a list of steps you can run through

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, all the files in the folder will now be highlighted, right click any file, click delete, a box will appear asking if you want to delete all the files, confirm the delete then reboot

Open the CD ROM Drive used to install Windows, insert the XP CD but leave the drawer open. Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter and close the CD ROM Drive drawer. You will get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. This will check for and replace missing or corrupt system files.

You can check for an improvement after running sfc /scannow then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

This bit is optional

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot