Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Very Interesting Linksys Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

steve-hamilton

steve-hamilton

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The gist of the problem is i run a wired linksys router from a cable connection, haven't changed or done anything to cause the problem, and now, anyweb page hosted from a certain individual host (which we've narrowed down) will not load on any machine running off the router.

Here's a thread that will show the progression of the problem, the steps already taken, and the task at hand...

If anyone is able to shed any light on my situation, i'd be greatly appreciative....you can also take the pride in knowing i've ran this problem past about 20 tech's, and no-one has been able to solve the problem (although many have helped narrow it down)

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Steve Schmelzle

http://ontfish.probo...read=1130773019

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi steve-hamilton!

Does the webpage http://www.pogo.com load for you? If it doesn't, then the following because it worked for me with my linksys router not accessing certain webpages. Log into your router and change the MTU setting from 1500 to 1492. Save your settings and then exit the router configuration page and then try to go to the webpages you couldn't before.

Fenor

SandyJax

SandyJax

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, from your linked story:
-tracert and web-by-dns both fail thru the router
-tracert and web-by-dns both work, if you bypass the router.
Ergo, the router is stopping traffic, both ICMP and HTTP which means two different ports, for at least two spearate IPs; probably a whole range of IPs but you are only aware of these two.

Never mind. Oddly enough, both of these sites are hosted by the same people, and tracert sends us to the same IP address for both of them. My first guess is that someone programmed your router to deny all access to that IP, in order to make you work instead of fishing. :)

Just for grins, what happens if you open a browser and give the IP address 66.152.98.203? Do you get to see the host's webpage, or is this denied, too?

steve-hamilton

steve-hamilton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i'd agree with ya sandy if this was a work computer, lol.

i've tried connecting to the sites via ip address with no luck...same with pinging the sites....

crazy thing is, and i swear, i touched NOTHING over the weekend, when all of this starting happening, lol.

currently, i also have all my ports open (for testing), so it cant be a port issue. (1-65535)

yes, the only sites i can't access are sites hosted by the same people....

could someone have hacked me, just to frustrate me all to [bleep]?

steve-hamilton

steve-hamilton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
pogo does work, but if i change my MTU from auto to any manual number (1496, 996, etc) my email will not send out a message....but will check for messages. it will also not load any internet pages....

Edited by steve-hamilton, 31 October 2005 - 07:55 PM.

steve-hamilton

steve-hamilton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i dont know what exact setting fixed it, BUT ITS FIXED!!!!!

either something was changed on the server within the last two or so minutes, or i 'think' disabling 'block internet requests' did it....even though i think it was a concoction of a bunch of things....

the MTU is still set to auto....

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP

SandyJax

SandyJax

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
(My last post on this subject)

I don't see anywhere that you have looked at the router's programming. I mean, its a programmable router, and it can be programmed to rout packets in neat ways. Does it have a "block access" rule, with this IP in it?

Last, a new router costs less than the value of the time we've spent on this problem. It's more cost effective to replace it.