Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Task Bar Icon

• Please log in to reply

Tuesdaizchild

Tuesdaizchild

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I accidently deleted an icon that I use regularly from my task bar. I can still access the program, but it is just a pain (I am set in my ways :tazz:). When I right click on the task bar and click on customize notifications, I can see the icon under past items, but I can't seem to get it back to current items. Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
http://msdn.microsof...ing/taskbar.asp

That should help. :tazz:

Tuesdaizchild

Tuesdaizchild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the above link. I went to the linked site, but it is a little to technical for me. Ex: "Adding, Modifying, and Deleting Icons in the Status Area Use the Shell_NotifyIcon function to add, modify, or delete icons from the status area. The dwMessage parameter of Shell_NotifyIcon is a message to the taskbar that specifies the action to be taken." I have no idea what any of this means. Could someone dumb it down a little for me?

Edited by Tuesdaizchild, 05 November 2005 - 03:08 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
# Click on the Start Menu to open it
# Click on "Programs" and find the program for which you want to create an icon
# Move your mouse pointer to the program you want to use
# Depress and hold down the right mouse button while you drag the icon to the Quick Launch toolbar section of the Task Bar
# When you release the right mouse button, a short menu will appear
# Choose "Create Shortcut(s) Here." An icon will be created in the Quick Launch toolbar on the Taskbar

http://www.seniornet...iconbarhow.html

Tuesdaizchild

Tuesdaizchild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Again thank you. That was much easier to understand, yet it didn't work. I right clicked on the program and dragged it to the task bar. When I release the right button, I get a short menu, but create shortcut is not included. Can you offer any further suggestions?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Are you speaking of the "Quick Launch" icons in the taskbar?

If so, you can right click on the taskbar and select Toolbars and ensure QuickLaunch is checked................. THEN you can dragNdrop icons into the QuickLaunch