Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DHCP not working

• Please log in to reply

kennyblair1956

kennyblair1956

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran a spyware scan from Trend Micro and have not had access to the internet since then. I am running Windows XP, SP2.

I have a wireless router connected to my computer and two other computers attached to my network. Both of the wireless computers have internet capability. I originally had a Microsoft wireless router, but since I was already having trouble with a couple of the hard wired ports, I bought a dlink wireless router (DI-524).

When I try to access the setup program for my new router (192.168.0.1), I get "page cannot be displayed". I am able to get to the setup program from my wireless computer.

The only way that I can get access to my network, is to hardcode the IP, DHCP, etc addresses. Even then, I still can't access the internet or the setup program. I have tried the winsockfix and sp2connectivity fix.

The status on my lan connection is "limited or no connectivity".

Any ideas

Here is the log from the spyware scan mentioned above:

Started Scanning
Internet Cookies
Found 'tribalfusion.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found 'server.iad.liveperson.net' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found 'bannerspace.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found '2o7.net' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found 'insightexpressai.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found 'go.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found 'a.websponsors.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found 'adknowledge.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Found 'ad.yieldmanager.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache'
Programs in Memory
Windows Registry
Found '' in 'Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges\Range1'
Internet URL Shortcuts
Files and Directories
Found 'LSP.DLL' in 'C:\WINDOWS\system32'
Finished Scanning
Started Backup
Finished Backup
Started Cleaning
Checking for 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSP.DLL' in shortcut areas.
Checking for 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSP.DLL' in startup areas.
[SCANMODS] WARNING: Deletion of the file 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSP.DLL' requires a reboot.
Cleaning 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSP.DLL'
[SCANMODS] WARNING: Deletion of the file 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSP.DLL' requires a reboot.
Finished Cleaning

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the complete address for Actiontec

http://192.168.0.1/c.....tml/atec.html

Which should display provided the router is connected to the PC, if you have the actiontec software CD, re-install from that

kennyblair1956

kennyblair1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer can't see the router. Even when I hard code my IP address and the DHCP address, I can't get to 192.168.0.1, which is supposed to bring up the router set up program.

My cable modem is a Motorola, and the router is D-Link. I don't believe that I am using any Adaptec devices.

kennyblair1956

kennyblair1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry, I meant ACTIONTEC....

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
were you ever able to use the router? If so, try to reset the router; there is a reset button on the back - hold for ~10 seconds and release

kennyblair1956

kennyblair1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have never been able to access the new router (resetting the router was the first thing I tried). Before I bought the new router, I was having the same problem with the Microsoft router (MN-510). Again, this problem started when I ran Trend Micro's spyware software. After the removal of the spyware, I had to reboot. Once I rebooted, access to the router, DHCP, Internet connection, etc was gone.

I was trying the spyware online to see if I wanted to switch from Norton's Systemworks. I had already tried the Virus software, which seems to find more than Norton's Antivirus. Of course, I can't use their restore feature without being connected to the internet.

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Kenny, I was experimenting with the Network Places window in WinXP and found something that may be of help to you.

First I'd like you to go ahead and open "My Network Places" (You can acess this by going to My Computer and clicking on it in the "other places" tab on the sidebar if you don't have a shortcut anywhere else) and look at the left sidebar, top tab. At the bottom of the list, it should say "Show icons for networked UPnP devices." Go ahead and click that. A box pops up asking you if you would like to open the required firewall ports, go ahead and click yes. It will go ahead and configure a few things and you'll see a progress window. Once that's done, if the router is connected to your computer correctly, you SHOULD be able to see the router's icon in your network places like this-

Posted Image

Go ahead and double click it and you should have a password prompt- If you've reset your router, the default username and password will either be admin for the username and admin for the password, or just admin for the username and a blank password. If it works, let me know, if it doesn't, we'll keep going with figuring it out...

Edited by MikeFromNY, 01 November 2005 - 12:44 PM.

kennyblair1956

kennyblair1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The install process died as soon as it needed access to the internet.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through these to check files are all there

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

You can check for any improvement now, and then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

If you are unable to run XP Repair

Alternate XP Repair

Use the last one, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Beyond this, it could be a hardware fault

The next steps are optional

Get Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

kennyblair1956

kennyblair1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I will give this a try tonight.