Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphicard specifics

• Please log in to reply

FusionFX

FusionFX

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Wanted to know what exactly has any meaning when checking for new cards.

*128mb, 256mb, 512mb?

*RAMDAC clock frequency? 400 MHz, 430MHz?

*DDR, DDR2, DDR3?

*Memoryspeed 250MHz, 400Mhz, 850MHz, 1.1GHz?

*64bit, 128bit, 256bit?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I answered this before in a previous post but noone went back to the post. Noone seemed to know the answer at all but ill tell ya.

What matters most in a video card is the GB/sec, which is the Gigabytes per second or rather the bandwith.

It is actually the final number of how fast the overall speed of the card is, ect...

it is Memory Clock, Memory Size, Memory Interface, Memory Type, agp 4X/8X or pci express, and the
RAMDAC all added together and thus the final outcome is the gigabytes per second...

Always look at the gigabytes per second when looking at the speeds, it matters most because it is the final number.

Alot of people say Oh, I have a 256 Mb video card its fast. It dont mean jack... The gigabytes per second is what matters but always get 256 Mb now adays and there is even some 512 Mb cards.

I have seen 256 Mb cards with crappy gb/sec and in the end is slower than most 128 mb cards.

All of the newer cards gb/sec is in the 32 - 42 gb/sec range.

A 6600 gt has 16 Gb/sec and that is the lowest I would go now adays.

An nvidia evga 7800 gtx ko has 41.6 Gb/sec Memory Bandwidth. <------------ great card if you have the money and pci express.

Hope this helps you out.

:tazz:

Edited by jrm20, 01 November 2005 - 09:10 AM.

FusionFX

FusionFX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I answered this before in a previous post but noone went back to the post. Noone seemed to know the answer at all but ill tell ya.

What matters most in a video card is the GB/sec, which is the Gigabytes per second or rather the bandwith.

It is actually the final number of how fast the overall speed of the card is, ect...

it is Memory Clock, Memory Size, Memory Interface, Memory Type, agp 4X/8X or pci express, and the
RAMDAC all added together and thus the final outcome is the gigabytes per second...
Always look at the gigabytes per second when looking at the speeds, it matters most because it is the final number.
Alot of people say Oh, I have a 256 Mb video card its fast. It dont mean jack... The gigabytes per second is what matters but always get 256 Mb now adays and there is even some 512 Mb cards.

I have seen 256 Mb cards with crappy gb/sec and in the end is slower than most 128 mb cards.

All of the newer cards gb/sec is in the 32 - 42 gb/sec range.

A 6600 gt has 16 Gb/sec and that is the lowest I would go now adays.

An nvidia evga 7800 gtx ko has 41.6 Gb/sec Memory Bandwidth. <------------ great card if you have the money and pci express.

Hope this helps you out.
:tazz:

Thanks!
It was this kinda info i was looking for. I saw a 512Mb card i was thinking of buying but if the speed makes it pretty much useless then i have to go with just a fast 128. :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
No dont get confused, you need to get a 256 Mb card with sufficient gb/sec speed or either a 512 mb card.

What is your current video card?

What do you have agp slot or pci express??

It depends what cards you are looking at, list the cards and I will tell you if its good.

I was trying to explain that just because it says 256 Mb doesnt mean its faster than a 128 Mb card. Look at the gigabytes per second. I dont recommend a 128 card, get a good 256 mb card that is fast.

Edited by jrm20, 01 November 2005 - 01:09 PM.

FusionFX

FusionFX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

No dont get confused, you need to get a 256 Mb card with sufficient gb/sec speed or either a 512 mb card.

What is your current video card?

What do you have agp slot or pci express??

It depends what cards you are looking at, list the cards and I will tell you if its good.
I was trying to explain that just because it says 256 Mb doesnt mean its faster than a 128 Mb card. Look at the gigabytes per second. I dont recommend a 128 card, get a good 256 mb card that is fast.

Sapphire Radeon X700 512MB DDR PCI-Express, Tv-Out, DVI-I, Lite-Retail
or
Sparkle GeForce 6600GT 256MB DDR/PCI-E/DVI/TV-OUT
Those are the once im looking at right this moment.
(With my current MB i can have both agp n pci-e)

Edited by FusionFX, 01 November 2005 - 04:54 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I looked and I found info about that x700 with 512 Mb and it only has 11.20 GB/s. I can tell you right now that the 6600 Gt with 256 Mb has 16 GB/s bandwith. The 6600 gt is better because it is faster and this is an example of what I told you above in my post. The core clock and the memory clock is faster on the 6600 gt and that is why the outcome is better results.

That 6600 is fine for a mid to high gamer, not quite a high gamer. Always shop around for the best deal on a certain card.

What is your budget?

FusionFX

FusionFX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I looked and I found info about that x700 with 512 Mb and it only has 11.20 GB/s. I can tell you right now that the 6600 Gt with 256 Mb has 16 GB/s bandwith. The 6600 gt is better because it is faster and this is an example of what I told you above in my post. The core clock and the memory clock is faster on the 6600 gt and that is why the outcome is better results.

That 6600 is fine for a mid to high gamer, not quite a high gamer. Always shop around for the best deal on a certain card.

What is your budget?

250$ but im ok ok with medium settings. :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
$250 i can find a faster card for you man

FusionFX

FusionFX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

$250 i can find a faster card for you man

Well im open for suggestions. :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
how big is your power supply in your pc. Atleast 300 watt right?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Get either the first or the second card in this link. It is fast and has 34-35 gb/sec bandwith but you need a 300 watt power supply in your pc. 300 watt isnt really alot. Just double check.

http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

$249 is good deal dont you think

one of the cards says 350 watt required. Pick what you want

cya

Edited by jrm20, 01 November 2005 - 06:23 PM.