Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP repair

• Please log in to reply

Trinitie

Trinitie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My first time here and I've browsed your forums and your topic on Win XP repair. I didn't see this problem but if I missed it and I'm repeating a question I'm very sorry. I decided to do a repair when my pc wouldnt boot due to an error saying a windows system file was currupt or missing. I couldn't log in safe mode or command prompt so I decided to try a repair. When I get to the screen to setup or repair I do select setup to get to the repair that way but once it gets to 'Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows it just stops. I've let it sit there for 30 mins once while I was attending to other things so I know its not that I'm just impatient. After several attmepts at rebooting and trying to get beyond that screen I tried to enter the repair console by typeing R instead of selecting setup. It takes me to the console and list my windows as an option but once I select it once again I get nothing. I even tried using my friends Windows Cd thinking maybe it had something to do with that and I got the same thing. It took me so long to get Windows setup to recognize my HD because it's sata and I had forgot how I had gotten it to recgonize it when I first intalled it, when I finally got to the setup screen I was so excited to only be crushed again. Please if anyone can help me out here I would greatly appricaite it. I'm just so frustrated now after endless hours of trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try the alternate repair

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

You may need to press F6 for the SATA drive, this is an option from the grey bar which shows the loading progress at the beginning

Trinitie

Trinitie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't get into windows at all not even in safe mode and I have also tried selecting the last knowing working config and still get the same error that a system file is missing or corrupt and the only option it gives me is to restart. Windows never even boots. On the first link you gave me my pc stops on a screen between the second and third screen shot you have. It stoped after I select to setup but before it gives me the option to select my windows installation. It's simply a blue screen and on the bottom is says "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows" It won't go any further then that. I have aslo selected R instead of setup and my pc stops after I select my windows installation. I don't know if that means this is a hard ware problem or not. My bios detects my hard drive and everything was working fine,,out of no where my pc locked and when I rebooted I started getting the error saying my system file was missing. I don't know what else to try but, thank you very much for responding.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you get the same result with the alternate repair, using the last one in the list, (Windows Installation CD)

Get the set up discs for the version of the XP CD you have

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

This will depend on you having access to a PC with a floppy drive and your PC also having a floppy drive

It may be something wrong with the initial installation files, using the set up discs will hopefully get you beyond this

If it does, you may want to contact Microsoft to say the disc is damaged

Trinitie

Trinitie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After fighting w/ several bad disks I did get to use the floppy disk setup downloaded from the link above. My computer is still stoping at "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows" I don't want to lose my data but even if I get to the point I don't care about my data I can't even get into my hard drive to format I can't get windows setup to go beyond the "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows" Any suggestions on what to do or is this a Hard Drive issue?

Edited by Trinitie, 01 November 2005 - 08:01 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a friend with a PC who will let you install your drive as a slave to their drive, transfer the data you need onto their drive, then on to CDR discs, this will probably be the easiest way forward

You should then format the drive while it is in the other PC then let install it to your PC, try to use the manufacturer's set up utility which should have a write zero's to drive option, then let XP format it as part of set up.

Trinitie

Trinitie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't have someone I can install my HD to their pc. but after tinkering enough w/ it I did finally get it to reboot in safe mode and used a restore point. Thank you for all your help w/ this matter.. this place is a god send for frustrated PC users :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Pasan

Pasan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I don't have someone I can install my HD to their pc. but after tinkering enough w/ it I did finally get it to reboot in safe mode and used a restore point. Thank you for all your help w/ this matter.. this place is a god send for frustrated PC users :whistling:

Hi Trinitie.. That's great to hear. I know it's like almost an year later, but I am having the SAME problem. It's telling me that "SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM" is missing or something like that during startup. When I try to repair it as it suggests after restarting, I get stuck. If I try to reintall, it gets stuck on "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows".

How did you manage to bypass the initial problem and login to Safe Mode??.. Please let me know. Thx a bunch :blink:

Chris_

Chris_

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I don't have someone I can install my HD to their pc. but after tinkering enough w/ it I did finally get it to reboot in safe mode and used a restore point. Thank you for all your help w/ this matter.. this place is a god send for frustrated PC users :whistling:

Hi Trinitie.. That's great to hear. I know it's like almost an year later, but I am having the SAME problem. It's telling me that "SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM" is missing or something like that during startup. When I try to repair it as it suggests after restarting, I get stuck. If I try to reintall, it gets stuck on "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows".

How did you manage to bypass the initial problem and login to Safe Mode??.. Please let me know. Thx a bunch :blink:

And another year passes.. sorry to revive this topic again, but I BADLY need PASAN's solution!! is there anyway to contact him? :help:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Otherwise

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Or

Boot the PC using the XP CD and look for a prompt to 'Press any key to boot from CD' (some systems may not ask).

Press any key on the keyboard and Windows Setup will launch

After a few minutes you will be presented with the following choices:

To setup Windows® XP now. press Enter

To Repair a Windows® XP installation using Recovery Console, press R

To quit setup without installing XP, press F3

Press R to repair the Windows® XP installation

The next screen will ask you which Windows® installation you would like to log on to. Normally the following will be listed:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Press 1 and then Enter to continue.

You may now be asked for the Administrator password. If you know this type it and press Enter. If you don't know the Administrators password it may be blank. Just press Enter

At the command prompt type:

chkdsk /r

Press Enter

Chkdsk will now check the hard drive for errors, and will attempt to repair any it finds.

This process may take a while, but when finished will go back to the same command prompt as before.

Turn off and restart the computer.