Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 - freezing on start up

• Please log in to reply

gezkc

gezkc

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all,
Recently, every time I start up Windows 98, I get to the start up screen but the computer just freezes (I can move the mouse pointer, but can't right-click or click on any of my desktop icons or access the Start menu). The PC fan is whirring away very loudly as well. When I press CTRL ALT DEL, it shows that explorer is running, and if I try to close it, I get a message saying "Explorer - this program is not responding...".

I've tried rebooting in Safe Mode, and the same thing happens - I can't get any further than the start up screen.

Does anyone know what's causing this/how to fix it? :tazz:

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Gez

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Keith - I'll give it a try this evening and let you know how I get on.

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, me again,

I ran scanreg.exe /fix and the message saying my registry had been repaired appeared. I pressed enter, then CTRL ALT DEL and rebooted. Unfortunately after it had rebooted, I was still in the same position as before - Windows is frozen and I can't click on any icons, or click on the Start menu.
Consequently I can't follow the second part of your instructions as I can't access the Start, programmes, accessories, system tools etc path.

Is there anything I can do to solve this freezing problem?

Any assistance would be gratefully received!
Thanks again
Gez

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is to repair

http://www.geekstogo...98-95-t479.html

If you are unable to do this then:

Under some conditions, you may want to reinstall your Windows 98 or Windows 95 system files. This may be useful for troubleshooting purposes, to verify the condition of your system files, and so on. This article describes how to reinstall Windows 98 or Windows 95 system files.

To reinstall Windows 98 or Windows 95 system files, reinstall Windows from your original installation media, or use the System File Checker tool in Windows 98. Note that reinstalling Windows does not alter your currently installed programs unless a program has previously replaced a Windows system file. If a program does not work correctly after you reinstall Windows, reinstall the program, but note that the program may be replacing one or more Windows system files.

The above will likely give you the message that Windows is already installed, ignore this and re-install it. Then if you can back up the data and programmes you need, a clean install will be best

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi again,
I've just followed the instructions to delete Windows and re-installed it and my computer now seems to start up fine - many thanks Keith! :)

Just one thing - my Monitor now seems to be stuck in 16 colour 640 x 480 resolution (I can't adjust the settings in Control Panel at all). Does this mean there's still a problem with my computer?

Thanks again for your help :tazz:
Gez

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for display / video adapter

Visit the manufacturer's site to look for 98 drivers

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, please post the make and model here before you download anything

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
I've now downloaded that file - it says the monitor name is ' Super VGA 1024 x 768 [No DB] '

There's a model number on the back of the monitor: C708
I believe it's a Relisys C708, but Relisys don't seem to have monitor drivers on their website (they have an *.inf file but that just seems to be a text file). After doing a Google search, it looks as though the Relisys C708 is the same as the Teco TE770. I haven't downloaded anything as yet though...

Do you know where I could download a driver for this?

Thanks once again!
Gez

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1) Go into your “Device manager” menu and double click on the monitor icon, it will now display what driver is currently installed in this example it is the TL410A. Now double click on the current driver in this case the “Relisys TL410A”. Another menu will now pop up click on the Driver tab, followed by the Update driver tab.

2) Select the “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” option followed by the next tab.

3) Now select “Don’t search I will choose the driver to install” option followed again by the next tab.

4) Click on “have disk tab”.

5) Click on the “Browse” tab and locate where you saved the driver file.

6) Click on the inf. file that contains your monitor driver, then click on “open”.

7) click on “OK”

8) Click on the model that you wish to install, then select “next”.

9) Now select “Finish”

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I've now installed the TL410a driver, but the display still won't change from 480 x 640 resolution... :tazz:

In the Display Properties screen, it says Relisys TL410A on Standard PCI Graphics Adeapter (VGA).
Could this adapter have anything to do with the poor resolution of the monitor now?

Thanks again.