Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP on IBM Thinkpad 760el

• Please log in to reply

abcdefg239

abcdefg239

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a second hand IBM ThinkPad 760el, with 233MHz pentium processor, 56Mb RAM and 6GB hardrive. I have managed to install windows XP, and can get the basics working pretty well, however, I am having a bit of a problem with the screen resolution.

The settings will only let me use 800*600 resolution with 256 colors. I know the monitor should be capable of 1024*780 resolution with 16k colors. I have tried changing the video card drivers and the monitor drivers using the options that I can download from the IBM website, but have had no luck. The modes that are available in the "List All Modes" section of the Video Card properties only include 640*480 at 256 colors and 800*600 at 256 colors.

Also, when I insert my pcmcia ethernet card, and error states that the firmware on the system does not allow CardBus cards it only allows ....., and I cannot access the rest of the message, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Abcdefg239

Did you check out the laptop with the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List, could be that the video card is not supported by XP and you are just running with the standard VGA drivers. Usually min specs for XP is 333MHz, 128MB Ram, 2GB partition.

I had an older Compaq 5550, 98 no problems, 2000 Pro, no problems, XP, can not get the modem to work, unsupported, standard VGA drivers, major issues with my printer port.. :tazz: ..yadda, yadda, yadda. It does make a nice Linux box for now....

tinch

tinch

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The PC card slot on these old thinkpads must have the Cardbus option enabled in the bios to use it. By default it's turned off. But, to do it you have to use the thinkpad utility software, which will also do things like enable hardware features and change IRQ and DMA settings. Seems like you have to mess around and disable the serial port or change its IRQ or something like that. BUT, my 760XD does support CardBus, I did it with Windows 2000. I can't get the utility to work properly under XP. It will appear to let me change things, but they are not changed (like enabling cardbus compatibility) when you go and look.

I'm hoping to find someone has written a program that will "turn it on" for XP, but the next option is probably to boot to dos and use the dos version (I think there is one) of the utility, or maybe dual-boot and run it off of Win98. The setting does stay changed unless you do something stupid (like I did) and reset all the bios settings to default from the boot and hold F1 bios settings screen.

My video may be different, but I think that may also be an option that's changed in the utility program.