Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use desktop icons/start menu.....

• Please log in to reply

otsu

otsu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Everyone,

My PC will start seemingly well until it gets to the 'desktop' screen when I can't click on any of the icons or the start menu. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen there is a message saying:

"! Your computer is infected. Windows has detected spyware infection. It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss. Windows wil now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you. Click here to protect your computer from spyware."

I can use Ctrl + Alt + Del to get to the "Windows Task Manager" with the Applications/Processes/ Performance/Networking/Users tabs.

Under the "Processes" tab the ones that I suspect are dodgey are;

paytime.exe
tool2.exe

If you would like me to list all of these processes and/or what is next to them please let me know.

I have also accessed the start-up programs by typing msconfig in the "run" bit and found:

dluxjp
paytime

I am running Windows XP professional. I can use safe mode, but the problem is still the same. I have a heap of spyware software on that PC (adaware/ewido/cwshredder/spybot and also AVG) but can't access any of it at the moment....That's about everything that I think might be relevant.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Advertisements

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo :tazz:

try the following:

open task manager, go to "new task" and type "cmd"

this will open a black box.

in that box type the following commands, hitting enter after each

cd C:\Program Files\Grisoft
start avgcc

that should launch the AVG control center. Update your definitions, and go to the test center through the menus. Run a full system scan. It should prompt you to restart your computer. Do so and see if you have access to your desktop

Edited by Avohir, 06 November 2005 - 08:58 PM.