Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP won't shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,

My PC won't shut down. I get a message saying that Windows is working with a file. However, there are no programs open (and nothing shows on the CTR-ALT-DEL task list) and even pressing the off button on the CPU itself produces the same response.

The PC is a Dell Optiplex GX 240 with Windows XP Professional. I don't expect this is a malware problem but my antivirus program is Symantec Antivirus Client Corporate Edition.

This is the first time this has happened. Earlier today I installed a printer (HP Deskjet 6540), which went fine, but I thought I'd mention that in case it could be related.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Allright, this should be a pretty simple fix as far as getting it to shut down.

Bring up the command prompt - [Start > Run > type "cmd" (without quotes) > Enter]

In the command prompt type "shutdown -s -f -t 00" (Again without quotes)

The -s tells the computer to shut down, the -f forces all running applications to close, and the -t 00 tells it to shut down now, instead of waiting 30 seconds with a dialog box.

This should get it to shut down fine. If it keeps doing it though, we'll take a look at msconfig and see what's booting with the machine aswell and see if it could possibly be the thing that's running.

Edited by MikeFromNY, 01 November 2005 - 12:53 PM.

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

When I did this, the desktop icons and the taskbar disappeared, but the background and arrow icon remained, with the CPU idle and nothing else happened.

So, it occurred to me to try something rash. I unplugged the PC, waited a few moments, and then started up. Shutdown then occurred normally.

So, hopefully it was a one-time thing and won't reoccur. I'll post back if it does.

Thank you again,
Doug

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to see if any updates are trying to install. Some don't install together and the machine won't shut down. If so, disable autoupdate and do them manually a few at a time.

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Actually, I think this might've been the problem. There were 9 Windows updates. I think they're now all installed so hopefully I'll be OK. Thanks!