Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Bouncer, AdDestroyer, 2nd Thought

• Please log in to reply

london

london

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Can't get rid of Virtual Bouncer, AdDestroyer, 2nd Thought.
I have installed paid versions of ePest Patrol, Norton Internet Security 2005, Lavasoft Ad-Aware (though I'm currently using the Ad-Aware SE (free version) because it's been easier to use this last week with this problem) ... and I also have the free versions of Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and SpywareDoctor.
I just got ePest Patrol last week.
The first ePP scan picked up lots of baddies, including these 3 in particular.
I quarantined them and then deleted the quarantine. But subsequent ePP scans show AdDestroyer is still in there somehwere, every time. So every time, I quarantine it, scan again... and it's there!
So it got me thinking.. and I used SpywareDoctor's free scan which showed me that Virtual Bouncer and 2nd Thought didn't get completely extinguished either. It found 15 instances of all three things.
So I put the computer in safe mode and went to the "regedit" places where the ePP scan showed AdDestroyer. (in HKey_CU-software\Microsoft\windows\Current version\explorere\fileexts\.txt\openwithlist.
But there was no openwithlist, only an openwithprogIDs or something, but it wasn't in that.
I can't find it anywhere. The Spyware Doctor scan also showed it in HKey_CU_software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\menuorder\startmenu2\progs\AdDestroyer. Guess what? It's not there.
Then I went to all the "regedit" places where the SpywareDoctor scan showed Virtual Bouncer and 2nd Thought are still supposedly lurking. They aren't there either.
But my computer is sill funky and clearly, these things are in there.
Any ideas what to do please?? Would be so grateful for help. Am going insane. Thanks much

Advertisements

london

london

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SORRY AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. HAVE JUST REALIZED THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT FORUM FOR THIS TOPIC. I HAVE COPIED IT OVER AND PUT IT IN THE MALWARE/SPYWARE ETC QUEUE.
SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. COULD SOMEONE PLS DELETE THIS POST? THANKS