Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP freezes on startup

• Please log in to reply

jladcox21

jladcox21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

My Win XP comp is freezing up on me. When I try to start it, it gets all the way to the desktop screen where I can see my icons, but I am not able to click on any of them or open up the start menu. When I open up task manager it shows that CPU usage is 0% and that no programs are running.

I have tried starting it up in safe mode, but the same thing happens. I have also tried repairing anything with the operating system CD, but it didn't help.

Is there anything else that I can do other than having to reformat? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
John

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go

Have you tryed to do to a Repair Installation of Xp?

Hope this helps.

jladcox21

jladcox21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I have tried to do a repair installation, but it is saying that no hard disk drives are found to be installed on my computer, and so i am not given an option to repair it. Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks