Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I use Recovery Console w/o access to Windows?

• Please log in to reply

April7

April7

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My computer hangs at the Windows background screen. The only thing I can do that has any effect is control-alt-delete to bring up Task Manager. Even in Safe Mode, I can't do anything in Windows. My only access is through command prompt in Safe Mode. Even though the BIOS boot order for my computer is Floppy, then CD, then HD, the computer will not boot with the Windows CD. Can I use the Recovery Console with no access to Windows--using only command line input?

Even though I don't have this type of computer experience, I was hoping to use Recovery Console to see if I could find out what's wrong with my computer. The next step, I guess, would be a re-installation of Windows.

I have tried system restore and "?last known good configuration?," and still the problem remains. I have Windows XP Profession, SP2. Thanks for any advice!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Boot order needs to be CD ROM then hard drive for it to boot from the XP CD

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
April7, If the computer will not boot to the CD even though you have it set to in the BIOS, there should be a key to press during POST to give you a selection of devices to boot from. If you have trouble finding such a key, what BIOS do you have? I can help you find what key it is.

April7

April7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you, thank you, to both Keith and MikeFromNY!

I tried the WindowsXP CD in a friend's new Dell computer to see what would happen, and it wouldn't boot from his computer, either (Windows just started normally). MikeFromNY, I will post information regarding my BIOS as soon as I can. I don't have access to my computer right now, but I believe I saw the word "Phoenix" or something similar when I was in there. Does that help? That would be great if I could boot from the CD!

I did find an article on "How to obtain Windows XP Setup Boot Disks,"

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

that states I can download information onto six floppies and use those, together with the Windows XP CD to run setup and repair Windows. If I have to go this route, should I choose the version that matches what is my computer (SP2) or the version that matches what is on my WindowsXP CD (not SP2)?

From your responses, seems that you are recommending a repair installation of Windows right away rather than first trying to do anything with Recovery Console.

Thanks again, to you both!

April7

April7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Would I be able to perform the Windows XP repair installation by typing "setup.exe" from the Safe Mode Command Prompt with the windows XP CD loaded? (I am able to access the CD contents from Safe Mode Command Prompt). Thanks again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would need the set to match the XP CD and then you might need to contact Microsoft if this still does not work because the disc might be defective, especially as it did not run in another PC

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious, you tried the f8 to get into safety mode without joy I know, but as mentioned above a lot of computers have f12 as the change of boot so it might be the botton, you are looking for.

April7

April7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I downloaded Windows XP Setup Boot Disks from the Microsoft Site. That, together the Windows XP CD, allowed me to run setup. I did a repair installation of Windows, received the following error message during this process:

COM+ Setup Error
OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message
d:\nt\com\com1x\src\complussetup\csetuputil.cpp(line3406) Error Code 0x8007007f
The specified procedure could not be found
Failed to load the library 'C:\Windows\System32\catsrv.dll

although the installation continued. When it was through, I found I had the same problem---the computer still hangs at the Windows Background Screen!

Then I ran Recovery Console and entered the chkdsk /p command. The results stated, "Chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume."

Can anyone interpret the COM+ Setup Error message I received during Windows installation? It is possible that a file is missing from my Windows XP CD? Is this Setup error message related to the fact that the computer still hangs, or do you believe the problem is only related to my hard drive?

Also, I'm not sure what the chkdsk message means--what is the problem with the hard drive? I know that chkdsk has an /r option that might repair the problem, but will using that erase all of my files?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

(Forum Question: Should I have started a new topic for this problem? Thanks.)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run chkdsk /f /r which won't remove any existing data

April7

April7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, Keith. I'll try that!

If anyone has any good internet links regarding chkdsk and interpretation of the error messages, I'd really appreciate getting them. I'm not finding what I'm looking for doing a google search. I'd like to know specifically what's wrong with my hard drive and how it happened. Thanks.