Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 9/10 Internal Application Error

• Please log in to reply

electrixx

electrixx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I started with Windows Media Player 9.

I went through the program to the updates, & downloaded Player 10.

During installation, there was some dialogue box that I accidentaly clicked "Cancel."
So it told me it was impossible to complete setup, & I needed to restart.

When I restarted, & clicked the WMP9 taskbar icon, it gave me this options thing for WMP10. So I proceeded & checked the boxes needed for file associations, etc. I pressed "Finish," and a dialogue box popped up saying "Windows Media Player was not successfully installed. Would you like to install it from the Windows Media Player website?"

So I click yes, and I try to re-download and re-install. But to no avail.

I've tried uninstalling everything and starting over, but in the Add/Remove Programs window, Windows Media Player 10 doesn't show up... but I try uninstalling Windows Media Format Runtime, and it says it cannot rollback to WMP9 because WMP10 is still installed and must be uninstalled before it can rollback.

SO I'm totally at a loss and I can't afford the $79.99 - $129.99 fees of the [bleep] Microsoft tech support, so yeah. Any help would be appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tick show updates in add / remove then look for 10

electrixx

electrixx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, so I did that, but there's no change, other than I don't have the little box for "show updates" anymore. It disappeared after I restarted. (The rollback said it was complete & I needed to restart, so I did, but it's still there in Add/Remove programs).

WMP10 is still in Add/Remove Programs, so I tried to rollback again, and it says "Rollback complete" so i pressed "Finish," but it remains in the add/remove programs window. I closed the window and re-opened it, but it is still there, and each time I try to remove it, it says "rollback complete," and does nothing.

Any other suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install this

http://www.filehippo...dia_player.html

See if it runs, or you can uninstall it then

electrixx

electrixx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried it, and attached is a screenshot of what happens...

Attached Thumbnails

• Image1.jpg

electrixx

electrixx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
And I've also tried doing the whole process over again... but it's a neverending chain...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates