Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What does "Non-viral threat detected" mean?

• Please log in to reply

SabrinaD

SabrinaD

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just went w/ my gut & deleted the files that Norton said were adware threats. Then a message popped up that I have "Non-viral threats detected" & it said that the delete failed next to the file name. What does this mean? Will I have to download some kind of removal for each of the infected files to successfully remove them from my puter? I hope some one can tell me what the heck I'm doing.
I also found different types of adware listed that came up after running a smart scan from the Ad Aware program. Are these needing to be deleted also.
Also will having both the Norton & Ad Aware programs on my puter, will they conflict themselves & the job they are to do? :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I rely on AdAware and Spybot for malware, and Norton Anti Virus for virus protection. I don't have any experience with Norton Spyware, but suspect it is similar to AdAware. When I run AdAware, I get rid of the files it finds, delete! I have never had a problem because I did that. AdAware updates their file definitions regularly. I would hope Norton does the same. I would not expect you should have problems having both on your system. AdAware is free, works great. I bet you had to pay for Norton. By "non-viral threat" they probably mean all threats other than virus, like tracking cookies and little programs that phone home with data to get you spammed, etc. Check their "help" file for their official deffinition of that term.

Edited by austin_o, 02 November 2005 - 07:39 AM.