Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do you reformat a homebuilt computer?

• Please log in to reply

noname23

noname23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a reformat disk and i want to reformat my computer, but i do not no where to start.

I think the CD is just a Windows XP install disk, but someone told me you could refromat from it.

The CD is a Windows OEM software disk which includes service pack 2.

Advertisements

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hey and welcome to the boards, the name's Mike.

First off I'm going to ask where you got the OEM disk. Did you buy it with your hardware, or did it come from an old brand name PC like a dell or something? Reason for asking is if the OEM CD came from a brand name PC, the CD will not work for you unless it recoignizes the motherboard of the computer the CD was shipped with. If you bought it with your hardware when you did a new build, simply insert the boot CD and when "Press any key to boot from CD" pops up, press any key. If you do not see that message when the CD is in the drive when you boot, go ahead and press whatever key will bring you to a screen where you can select your boot device- Usually the key is F8 or F12. Just keep hitting the key during POST and it should bring you to the selection screen. Pick the CD drive that the disk is in (or if it doesn't list multiple CD drives, just select CD) and hit enter. It should then either bring up the press any key text or boot right into the CD.

If you get this far as where you boot from the CD, post back and I will give you further instructions on how to format and reinstall windows.

EDIT: I noticed you have posted a HJT log. Are you currently working on that problem or have you moved onto this thread in interest of starting with a clean install of windows?

Edited by MikeFromNY, 01 November 2005 - 10:07 PM.