Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help{RESOLVED}

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Was the hard drive you used the restore disks on good?

I would try it on a known working drive if it don't workout you could always reformat and install windows 98 with the disk you have

Advertisements

rmprudente

rmprudente

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, the HD I just used the restore disks on is a known working drive, and the disks reformatted and didn't reinstall win98. The other HD, the origional, I had tried the restore disks on before I knew about the memory problem. It kept freezing up, but could that have been from the memory stick problem?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If the restore disks did not work on a good drive then they are most likely not for that model of compaq because they are very easy to use and once you put the disk in it does all the work, thats the only explination I have. I have worked on many compaqs and there restore disks always work except if they are for a different model but it usually tells you that before it formats the drive.

So no I would not use them again, I would install windows 98 from the 98 cd and then goto the compaq website and search for your model using the number on the front benzel cover and look for sound, video and what ever drivers you need.

Rick

rmprudente

rmprudente

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, I reinstalled win98, and couldn't do much of anything. Couldn't get online, no driver files for the modem. Put in a different modem, didn't work. SO I gave in and put the origional hard drive back in and tried quick restore on it again(this time the bad memory stick wasn't there) and it worked, to a point. The sound is nonexistent, the graphics are still messed up and it will only load windows in safe mode. I am going to take out the extra hard drive, and make sure everything is hooked up right hopefully tomorrow. UntillI can get it to startup in normal mode I can't even update the drivers, I tried burning some things to a cdr and then using them in that computer but it didn't work. Windows isn't even recognising the cdr drive or the dvd drive. What can I do now?

rmprudente

rmprudente

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Well, it's finally mostly fixed. It has all of it's origoinal hardware, and only origional hardware, the iffy memory stick is out and it has a newer moniter. The wierd coloring was just because the moniter I was using was too old for the computer. Quick Restore finally worked, I had to run it over and over again though because the system would freeze before it could finish. When it finally worked there were still some win98 problems, which were mostly fixed by Norton System Works. I ran all diagnostics all tests I could and so far so good. The cd, cdrw and floppy drives are all problematic but the cdrw works most of the time so it's ok for now. The system is still freezing up occasionally but I'm not sure why yet. When the kids go back to school I'll see if I can figure it out, for now they are enjoying having a computer again. Thank you for all the help, this machine really made me feel stupid, without you guys I would have given up on this machine a long time ago, LOL. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I somehow missed your post from nov 21 didn't get email notification I guess.
Glad the system is running and the kids are enjoying.

I had a compaq once and that thing would like to freeze now and then to, never did figuar that out.
But seeing as how you had so much trouble installing windows with the restore disks but they finally worked makes me think there is still some problems with the ram so when you have time do a google for memtest86, try and find the floppy version, download it and follow the instructions to create a bootable floopy. Then boot from the floppy to test the ram, let memtest run for at least 2 hours and report back how many errors it finds.

Keep in mind that if you don't reply for I think its 14 days I will not get email notification that you replied to this topic, therefore I won't know that you did reply unless I stumble on it like tonite. If this happens just send me a PM telling me that you replied to the board

rmprudente

rmprudente

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, will do, found the site already,LOL. I'll need to make sure the floppy is working though, not sure yet haven't really had to check and the Compaq Diagnostics said there was a problem. Then again, it also said there was a problem with both cd drives and one works ok. Hey, would I be able to burn it to a cd? Cause the one drive I am sure is working pretty well is the cdrw and it reads regular and cdrw disks fine.
Oh and sorry it took so long to get back to ya, I was really sick for awhile and then with the holidays things were nuts here. LOL, I was only working on the thing sporadicly, with all the stress I couldn't handle a Compaq too. Almost gave up and threw it out but I couldn't, I had already bought the kids new computer games that wouldn't run on their old computer. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea there is a version for cd i just always tell most folks to use the floppy version because they may not be able to get to windows but you can so it should work just fine.

No problem not getting back its just that I hate to miss a reply and not get back to someone in due time

rmprudente

rmprudente

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
:tazz: I can't get the program to work at all. Till I get into windows, the cd and floppy drives don't want to work. Are there any other programs I could use?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You were able to install windows so you should be able to boot from the cd, I have never used the cd version of memtest but I assume it must make a bootable cd but it sounds as if it did not.

Try this it has a copy of memtest on it plus some other handy tools, you should be able to put the disk in your cd drive and restart the computer and it should boot from the cd.

Rick

Advertisements