Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mpeg troubles

• Please log in to reply

elie_fu

elie_fu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi there im having issuis burning the software in a format the my dvd player will recanize i downloaded a smell mpeg file of the net from an old black and white tv show and it will play that i used avicodec and mediinfo to tell me what the codec is that the file is using they both say that it is using mpeg1 codec when i ripped the dvd i ripped it to mpeg1 and looked at it under both pieces of software again and the were the same what else might the file have to be or what should i do so i can back them up put the origanles away and watch the backups on my dvd player the dvd player does support vcd and svcd it is a rca rtd-160 i used any help please and it is leggal to make back up copies for yourself right :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can always use virtualdub, which is free, to convert an .mpeg to uncompressed rgb.avi format and convert that to whatever format you like, such as .vcd. But you will need something that will convert to .vcd.

elie_fu

elie_fu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you ill try doing it like that but if the dvd player already reads one file the black and white one in just mpeg1 form why wont it read the other file in the same form is there something more then just the codec that the dvd player looks for

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The rgb.avi is uncompressed, both audio and video, so it doesn't use any codecs at all. That is why most converters can handle it without any problem. Also it contains all the information that the original file had, so it suffers the least quality loss from being converted.

elie_fu

elie_fu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay but what else does the dvd player look for besides the audio and video coddecs