Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing CD/DVD Drives in W2K

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you screen print as JPEG then use add reply (not fast reply) then you get the option to add it as an attachment then add in to post

Or you can use this

http://www.imageshack.us/

As there were a number of drivers disabled, it might be solved with a re-install, however, I would stick with trying to track it down for a bit longer

Advertisements

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Here you go - excuse the high quality copy and paste job! Quite a lot disabled as you can see....

Attached Thumbnails

• verifier.gif

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I don't have 2000 but does the reset option reset the drivers or just the list of their current status

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I did a reset all and it put atapi.sys and cdrom.sys back to disabled (have re-enabled them again with no reboot needed)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I am going to consult the Terrible Twins about this and ask them to post here

If Windows driver verifier says the drivers are there, then it is hard to see what difference a format will make to this

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK Keith, thanks again :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Still trying to determine if I like being deemed one of the 'Terrible Twins' or not, but for now I'm not gonna worry about it. :tazz:

As for your CD/DVD-ROM drivers, I haven't read anywhere in any of the posts (though it is early and I may have missed it) but have you checked to see if the two cd-rom drivers show up in the BIOS?

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just to add a bit to "Terrible Twin" #1's suggestion, make sure that all drives are configured to "Auto" detect.

wannabe1

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think he must have meant 'Terribly Helpful Twins' perhaps?!

I'm at work now so cannot be sure but I did check the BIOS and couldn't see the drives mentioned. I'll double check tonight thought - I'm not overly familiar with my BIOS so wasn't sure where it'd be.

When the PC boots up, it shows the two hard drives I have (primary and secondary masters I think), but nothing under slave drives - not sure if that's where they should appear though.

Sorry, a bit vague but I'll check for definite later on (within 8 hours hopefully!).

Thanks
Richard

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you tell me whether or not the drives themselves open when you hit the open button on them when your computer is turned on?If they do open, then maybe they are just not jumpered correctly. The jumper pin should be connected to the middle jumper.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 November 2005 - 08:28 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What's in a name???

It's a term of endearment here :tazz:

WINDOWS

Will Install Needless Data On Whole System

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yep, they both open fine. I'll check the jumper pins tonight - I've not done anything with them at all though, but worth checking all the same.

thanks

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
We are back in business! Not sure what did it, but I uninstalled the Alcohol virtual drive that was showing up, uninstalled Alcohol, physically removed both drives and checked that looked ok, switched on, switched off, then reconnected each drive one at a time, switching on after each and it works fine - no detection of new hardware or nothing.

I had removed them previously and then reconnected without luck - I can only assume Alcohol screwed things up maybe? It has a virtual drive and Daemon Tools adds the same so maybe some conflict there or something.

Thanks loads for your help - sorry I couldn't produce a conclusive reason why they reappeared, but I'm just glad the drives are working again and your suggestions definitely helped point me in the right direction and also taught me a bit more about windows!

Cheers guys
Richard

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know