Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Deleting Difficulty

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi everyone, I've got a file in my computer that won't let me delete it.

It comes from university so it's not likely to be a virus. Just this one time our lecture sent us his slideshow on one of the topics, in his email there were three attachments, out of which only one was the real slideshow but I mistakenly downloaded a fake/empty one that shares the same file name.

I scanned it with updated AV and Ad-ware it appears to be non-malicious. I tried rebooting the computer but right after I hit "delete" an error window popping up (as attached). I also attached the file's property.

Could someone plz help, I know it doesn't take any disk space but it's just annoying to see it there without a purpose...

[attachment=4583:attachment]

[attachment=4584:attachment]

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it takes up zero bytes on the disk, then there really isn't a file, there's just a link to it in the media descriptor, which you can't remove because it lacks a file association. My reccomendation is to change the file attributes to hidden and forget about it.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Eh... it never happened before though? Or has it just been happening without me being aware of it? :| Anyways, thank you for your help Tyger :tazz: Cheers